Removing a glued in windscreen

Snoozin

I need to remove the screen from the Datsun, it's one of the kind that are glued in. Obviously I know I need to remove the stainless trim surrounding it, but where to from there?

What are the best methods and tools used, so I can ensure I get this thing out in one piece? Sheepers mentioned a device that requires someone from inside and outside the car to cut through the glue, sort of a thin wirey blade type thing but wasn't sure of it's name or suchlike.

Any tips?

Cheers!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another way but it's messy.

White spirits will slowly eat into the glue and release the screen but it can take a while and you have to por it in and slice in as much as possible with a blade, etc. It's how I've done it a few times, less pressure on or near the edges of the screen to risk that doomish crack that makes your stomach drop.

Handles unscrewed in the middle so the wire can be replaced if it snaps etc, could probably make the same thing for cheap enough I would think but effort makes buying one much easier.

Was pretty cheap with bnt hook ups. Not sure what brand it was but it had to be ordered in overnight

piano wire/music wire with a handle on each end/wrap the ends around a couple of small pieces of wood. the thinnest piece of wire you can get will cut through it the fastest however it will snap the most often think I used wire that was 0.02mm thick or something. use a long piece (1 metre-ish if possible) and keep the motion steady.

should be able to cut it out in about 10-15mins if you are careful. you may go through a few pieces of wire doing it. I got lengths of wire from the Frankton model shop (which is nowhere near you) as music shops don't retail it for some reason.

I bought one of these and have done two windscreens with it now, once you get the hang of it they work pretty well. I heated the glue with a hot air gun then managed to slip this in from the outside, then you pull it along slowly cutting it. I know you can get the wire cutters but I'd be worried about scratching the paint etc.

15332.jpg

I recommend the metal string and handles for DIY, its cheap and usually fast (depends on your talent for it)
If the windscreen was previously replaced its usually a bit harder to do, because people use too much glue.

3/4 - 1 metre wire works best (depends on space inside car). Don't try to pull too hard, you want to get the wire hot through movement. sign for doin it right is when it starts to smoke a bit. guide the wire around the screen so you dont cut your paint, apply tape where it is a bit tight an on corners, same for dash and roof lining, can even tape some cardboard stripes close to the screen if you want to make a 100% sure.

cheers, bene

• Like 2

In the past, I have used a handbrake cable with a screwdriver wrapped around each end.

But that was because I didn't have the proper tool with me and need the windscreen out in a hurry.

Was fairly slow, but you have to be regardless of what you use.

Otherwise, I use the same tool that Durty mentioned.

Just saw through smoothly and slowly with a mate but keep going. Keep that wire hot.

Person on the inside can gently push the screen out with their feet to aid the cutting process and to finally free the windscreen.

Have used a push bike brake / gear cable before, too many times in fact. I'm sure the right tool shown above would make the job easier though! Two people would be a must with a wire, takes way too long without someone on the other end.

I've done the piano wire and two random bits of wood for handles technique twice before if you want a hand. Just use a craft knife to make a little hole and then slip the wire through. I wen to my local hobby store for piano wire but there may be better places.

^Rookie yes.

Pay some one 80 bux to take it out.

Save hours of fucking round and all the stress. hah

And if they are going to put it back in again, they usually only charge when they come and put it in.