DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW @ that 14point7 SLC free controller!!!! :-) Me likey. 

Double WOW @ at that EA coon TB setup. I happen to have a manifold for my Viva wagon that is designed for DCD 28/32 carbs (I thought it was for Datsun carbs but its a bit too big)

So once I confirm my engine is not crap I could start piecing together some bits for a EFI setup.

So a shopping list would be,

Speedduino ecu,

14point7 slc free controller,

A wideband sensor,

Throttle body.

I dont want to pay $115 for a 4.2 sensor. Ive not found any cheaper though. Im wondering what newer cars might have wodebands that can be found at a wreckers.. and how much would said wreckers want for said sensor? I figure many late model golfs etc?

40 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

WOW @ that 14point7 SLC free controller!!!! :-) Me likey. 

Double WOW @ at that EA coon TB setup. I happen to have a manifold for my Viva wagon that is designed for DCD 28/32 carbs (I thought it was for Datsun carbs but its a bit too big)

So once I confirm my engine is not crap I could start piecing together some bits for a EFI setup.

So a shopping list would be,

Speedduino ecu,

14point7 slc free controller,

A wideband sensor,

Throttle body.

I dont want to pay $115 for a 4.2 sensor. Ive not found any cheaper though. Im wondering what newer cars might have wodebands that can be found at a wreckers.. and how much would said wreckers want for said sensor? I figure many late model golfs etc?

I saw a oxy sensor on a g10 bluebird that had what looked like a wideband plug on it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

$85 for slc free and wideband sensor was a pretty good deal, shipping was $16, be hard pressed to find a second hand sensor for $50

Oh hang on.. I never realised they did kits with cheap sensors.

4 hours ago, kicker said:

If I was to do an efi setup, what ecu would be the go, MS or Speeduino?

From my brief looking into it a while ago a Speeduino was about as functional and handy as an MS2. Certainly more than usable enough for most standard engines out there. So save yourself $400 and eat nice food, upgrade your bike, buy a fluffy cat or burn it in petrol or something.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kicker said:

If I was to do an efi setup, what ecu would be the go, MS or Speeduino?

Functionally they're very similar and both are designed to be used with the same software, TunerStudio. If you're happy to assemble the board yourself they both look like a similar amount of work.

There is a larger, more established community for MS, and looking through the forums, someone has probably done something within spitting distance of what you want. Speeduino say they are still in development stages, but the FB group and forum are great for resolving problems and getting you going.

I chose Speeduino because it ticks a few boxes for me, and the money I saved up front can offset things like new temp sensors, an SLC Free kit, and buying the wrong damn manifold.

• Like 1

Just remember that the Speeduino is still being constantly updated, and sometimes things do go wrong. A MS is far more established, with a bigger community and support setup.

Im going with Speeduino because i like to support small projects with good ideas, it has the features i want, and it was lower cost. Its also not my main car so if the firmware throws a wobbly and the car is out of action for a few days, its no issue.

17 minutes ago, Testament said:

drill and tap holes in pulley to mount trigger wheel on?

print out template to size, mark and grind notches directly into pulley?

There are bolt holes in the pulley already so I could bolt to the front, but IMO that'll look quite dumb and will be dumber spacing the sensor out that far. There's not enough space to bolt to the back.

Grinder had crossed my mind but I'd rather not make a meal of it.

I got Ned to print out a 36-1 wheel on paper. I cut it out, scribed it onto a steel disc and then simply filed each notch out. It actually took way less time to file out each notch than I thought it would, like maybe an hour or so and was easy enough to do it accurately.  Cast iron files nicely too so it will be easy on that pulley of yours.

• Like 3