Orions DR30 Wedges

mikuni

I am so envious(spelling?) of your collection or vehicles!

It wasnt until I stood infront of an Ironmask on a caryard here in Palmy did I realise exactly how badass these are IRL.

So fucking cool.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the cost you all up legal for NZ?

The one on the yard here is $15,995! surely they're not worth quite that much!?

I Also like Fin wheels, and if your trying to not quite be cliche 'oh another tastefully moddified one of those'(not that they're even close to common here), they'll be a fine addition to your wheel selection.

*Edit

Also you're right in guessing the skyline is most likely 12x1.25.

Im not 100% on models as old as this, but the general rule is;

Nissan, Sububu & Suzuki are x1.25

and pretty much everything else (JAPANESE) is x1.5..

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

managed to get both DR30s into NZ while the dollar was strong against the yen. But given that I had to pay top dollar to get them out of Japan in the first place, I didn't get much change from $25k to get them here and legal, and this isn't counting any money I've spent in the years since on maintenance and parts and silly things like wheels/tyres :lol:

Regarding the coupe at Michael Grant Autos, $15,995 is a reasonable price (I'd expect the yard to be making some profit) but it's hard to say really. Not much demand in New Zealand for these, and most people that do want them aren't prepared to pay the sort of coin that they would fetch in Japan, Australia or even the States.

Sometimes I get fed up with the glacial pace things are taking currently, and frustrated at having to deal with outfits who are either not interested in undertaking any work, or tell me to come back in six months' time every time. I'm sure it's not thaaaaat hard to create a shortened shock and matching spring combo for a hypothetical height, especially when the only alternative is to scratch-build a set of coilovers.

p3.jpg

p3.jpg

I'm sure it's not thaaaaat hard to create a shortened shock and matching spring combo for a hypothetical height, especially when the only alternative is to scratch-build a set of coilovers.

I had the camber plates custom made for my Eterna. D2 were more than happy to take on the job. I just took a bunch of measurements and we emailed back and forth bunch of times. When they arrived they bolted straight in.

I know custom making some camber plates is different to a complete scratch built coilover setup, but D2 were keen.

Scarles are the agents for D2 in NZ. Andrew and Brett were easy to deal with.

I had the camber plates custom made for my Eterna. D2 were more than happy to take on the job. I just took a bunch of measurements and we emailed back and forth bunch of times. When they arrived they bolted straight in.

I know custom making some camber plates is different to a complete scratch built coilover setup, but D2 were keen.

Scarles are the agents for D2 in NZ. Andrew and Brett were easy to deal with.

Already have Cusco camber plates for the front so that saves a bit of hassle.

either way, having to wait six months is currently a thing, since I've dropped all my coin on the new shed and I really should finish tidying up the AW11 first.

but I just KNOW that someone else is going to import a DR30 sedan into NZ and build it up before I even get a chance to finish mine. such is the life of an idiot liek me that has way too many cars in states of disrepair, not one of them mint!

Don't be concerned about someone else getting one.

I've had my 110 since '03 and more than a few people have done things before me and the same again afterwards. As long as the terrorsquid or coupe are fully sorted when I finally get my 110 sorted, that's all that matters. Then we can have battles.

You'll lose.

...but we can battle

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Probably wouldn't say no to $150 per tyre. But there is nothing close on trademe/second hand to gauge pricing by :(

The 205/55s are three months old and have probably travelled 200km if that. 225/50s are a year old, and have travelled about 1000km. All Toyo T1-Rs.

see how it goes I guess. A bigger PITA at this point in time would be going through the hassle of sourcing new tyres all over again, given the new shed ate all my spare funds.

Huge misfire problem currently plaguing squid, it is a mystery. Only started happening after the last series of really foggy mornings back in August.

First video is trying to drive down the road in 1st gear at WOT. second video is at idle (no load) and applying 3/4 throttle.

HVVFrxlWgic

EnkY6wh5P28

in both videos you can see and hear it crap itself as soon as it tries to come on boost.

nothing wrong with that tyre profile - I seem to remember the 60 series looking far too ballooney on those ewings. All you need is some more slam, and perhaps spacers to push the wheels into the guards a bit more to fill them up.

Yeah Phil the 215/60s definitely looked balloon spec, 195/60s were much better. But it may just be a trick of the sidewalls, I know Direzzas have a really bloated looking design and the Toyos look far nicer.

The speedo is about 10km/h out with the smaller diameter tyres :doubt:

shall investigate getting a set of super shortened shocks and springs made next year, but have to be real mindful that the chassis rails and sump will definitely go under 100mm with this setup (will need a guard for the latter).

• 2 weeks later...

chur mister Raizer! I forgot to take photos of the setup in daylight (except for one shot through the window), I like how well it blends in with the rest of the dashboard... like it was designed to be there from factory.

will be even lusher once it actually goes. Have to find a small sub for bass fill and take the rear box speakers apart to inspect/replace the cones, one of them has developed a nasty crackle :doubt:

hopefully if all goes to plan I'll repeat the process with the banana since there's enough audio equipment sitting around for two vehicles with leftovers for a third, haha.

Nah Ewings haven't been refurbished at all, I just attacked them with some cutting compound and elbow grease after pulling them out of storage. They could benefit from a real good tidying up tbh, there's a bit of oxidation that just won't go away and some of the paint and chrome is starting to peel.

was so so lucky that I found a back seat in the correct trim going for cheaps on Yahoo. Ewan could not believe my delight. I was looking for a driver's seat as well but the amount of leftover fabric I got should be enough to repair the existing one.

• 2 months later...

Random!

Found an in-car video that a friend recorded of squid at a Taupo trackday I attended back in 2010. Was not my best outing tbh, the brakes were cooked, car was only on 12psi, and I was running old street tyres.

It was certainly a handful then, imagine it with the big boost build...

-pWGYGB2AvM

incidentally the Familia I was shadowing for the first lap was/is a grippy 300kW monster.

• 1 month later...
ED, your discussion thread is too hard to find, also run some Toyota COP setup as found in a late model beams 3sge or 2ZZ etc..

My evo seems happy running this set-up on waste spark..

Fred for helps:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum ... nfo-thread

Matt, I've been appending the discussion link to each of my updates over the last few months, but no one has bothered commenting so I gave up. Clearly these cars do not hold much interest.

cheers for link anyway, the Toyota coilpack idea could be a thing (I was talking to Glenn B about this actually, he had a set kicking around from one of his old builds, and Stefan did a whole bunch of research for his Evo as well) and lead length shouldn't be too much of an issue. However the FJ20 is cursed with huge plug recesses, so finding something able to fit the factory dust caps may be interesting.

I was flicking thru the R30 Skyline Bible the other night and had another look at the brake upgrade guide (it's all in Japanese, but the photos are a big help). Might start collecting the bits required for that, I think the powers-that-be would frown upon a 350-400PS Skyline monster with standard brakes... :lol:

Much like both cars dude. I really love your eye for detail and thats for all of your cars actually.

Brendan will have that thing sorted in a heartbeat - good fella young Brendan and it appears you know Glenn too. Small world, both were my grooms men.