Orions DR30 Wedges

mikuni

Show me the stereo doofer you're after.

I can't without pulling apart the centre console in the coupe :(

However - if you were to remove the centre console in your sedan parts car and have a peek behind there, you'd be able to determine if it has one or not. Basically it attaches to a couple of factory screw mounts and has brackets for the factory tape deck and tuner, like so:

sany0019.jpg

your sedan has an aftermarket stereo from memory, so I reckon the bracket's either been turfed or chopped up :(

however I would probably be interested if there is some form of bracket behind there, as it would do the trick for the gauge install on squid.

The T1Rs you wanted to get rid of, do you still have em?

The 225/50R15s? someone pointed out I could use them on the Rx-7 with a bit of effort, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Make an offer and go from there perhaps?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are the coils from a turbo or NA 4g63? I'll be running the same combo on the Starion, I've seen them support a solid 400hp with no worries at work.

That being said, I did a bunch of testing of the performance coils NZEFI sell, and was completely impressed, totally blew away any factory coil we threw against it. The built in ignition modules on them are a quality piece of gear too, you can throw a shit load of current through them.

Supposedly they are from a turbo 4G63, I bought three sets when converting both my TX3s to Link engine management a few years back, and this is the spare (third) set.

Yes, those NZEFI coils are indeed some nice kit. Part of me says I should just forgo sparing any expense and buy them....

Are the coils from a turbo or NA 4g63? I'll be running the same combo on the Starion, I've seen them support a solid 400hp with no worries at work.

That being said, I did a bunch of testing of the performance coils NZEFI sell, and was completely impressed, totally blew away any factory coil we threw against it. The built in ignition modules on them are a quality piece of gear too, you can throw a shit load of current through them.

They are basically the same coils that everything Mitsubishi DOHC uses from 1987 through to about 1996. Even the V6s just use three of the coils on a different bracket with a 3 channel ignitor.

There's no way you'll blow the spark out on a 400hp low comp turbo motor with with those coils (assuming they are in good condition). Fancy pants NZEFI coils are a waste of money in your scenario. Be happy and deal with the problem if it ever becomes one, and even then there's a miriad of coils that you can find at pick a part that'll keep you happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm quietly confident it's just the top chain at this stage; the oil pump chain has no discernible slack in it, and all the horrible clattering was coming from the top of the engine.

was wondering about the ratchet tensioner actually - what position should it be in with the engine off and no oil pressure? Extended, retracted, somewhere in between, or is it pot luck?

Fully prepared for the front cover and sump to come off if needed... but was talking to a mechanic with 30 years' experience today and he said one trick he learned years ago was to feed the new chain on by winding the old chain off. We'll see how effective that actually turns out to be, I don't think it can be done with the cams still in situ in the head.

cams can stay there, thats not the issue.

there is a "cup" like casting in the front cover that stops the top chain from dropping off the jack shaft gear when loose.

also the front cover has studs dropping down through the sump, not bolts up from underneath.

1002081347a.jpg

like this, the small stand off just below the two circles to the top right of the oil pump...

Chur. Hopefully there will be swift progress from this point forward.

Are the new chain(/s) quite expensive?

And is it quite a labour intensive job to replace it/them?

Depends if I can get away with locking the cams in place and feeding the new chain on by winding the old one off. If so, that would make things incredibly easy, but if not, then the front cover and sump will need to come off, as per what vegie said above.

The chain was AU$41 in the end, aftermarket. Genuine Nissan was going to cost in the region of $235+GST and take at least a fortnight to arrive.