Romans COD piece

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate, I'm new here, first time reading a project and only chose it because it has 3sge in the title which my 91 MR2 has - second gen though.

I assume your car originally had a 4age, and that your 3sge is a 5th gen out of an Altezza? Why did you go with the beams over say the Caldina 3sgte?

I'm not asking disrespectfully just when my 2nd gen 3sge dies I'll probably upgrade to the Caldina's 3sgte. 

Re the dirt in your guards I'd give it a good waterblasting and then dry with a rag later. I'm a part of the mr2 forum, some of the AW11 owners I believe have removed panels or sections with removal of a bolt to dump out all that nasty dirt. Any sections could be filled with filler too. 

• Like 1

Hey Swampo, you may hate me for this but my engine is one of the least common ones, it's out of a gen 5 SW20 haha. Then put Altezza bits on to suit front engined RWD.

Reason being that I used to own a gen 1 SW20 that I put a beams motor into, then I rebuilt this one to swap in later but got sick of working on a mid engined car.

This car originally had a 3AU engine (AW10 equivilent) Which is less than stellar!

One of my main objectives with the car is to maintain some simplicity and ease of maintenance/troubleshooting, hence NA.

The Caldina 3SGTE is a great option for an SW20.

When I changed my engine from a gen 2 3SGE to beams motor, I had more torque, more power, and better fuel economy by a fair margin. It was winning all round.

Snap oversteer is a myth! :D

• Like 1

Fair enough mate, not jelly at all - I'm not too sure but I think those later 3s-ges were also found in Currens/Soarers/Celicas too? I'd love to have that engine though haha, I personally find it rude that today's family sedans and econoboxes can outperform older performance cars numbers wise. I think that is because I love muscle cars, and older cars! Hence a later Toyota engine would be great for mine.

Did you have the model with the 14in rims and 1st gen suspension, later ones I think 1993+ had "safer" suspension. I've gone sideways whilst I was still learning my car, I used to own an 04 Suzuki Swift which I could get away with silly stuff in a FWD :P

Can you run your new engine on 91? I only use 95, and on 91 from previous owner it had a lot of knocking/detonation in lower RPMS. I think increases in technology means that newer engines with higher compression ratios can sufficiently use 91 with no knocking. BTW - my fuel economy is around 7.2 - 7.7L/100km. I'd say I do 60% town driving and 40% motorway. 

Nice control of that snap oversteer haha

Fair enough mate, not jelly at all - I'm not too sure but I think those later 3s-ges were also found in Currens/Soarers/Celicas too? I'd love to have that engine though haha, I personally find it rude that today's family sedans and econoboxes can outperform older performance cars numbers wise. I think that is because I love muscle cars, and older cars! Hence a later Toyota engine would be great for mine.

That's the way of the world, newer motors are pretty much always better.

Cars arent too bad to other things though, imagine if you were using a 25 year old PC, how bad that would be :)

Oh yeah. For the love of god, do not listen to the frothing idiots who will tell you to put a V6 in your MR2.

Toyota V6s (apart from the new ones that cost a crapload) are utter garbage.

2GR or bust!

Did you have the model with the 14in rims and 1st gen suspension, later ones I think 1993+ had "safer" suspension. I've gone sideways whilst I was still learning my car, I used to own an 04 Suzuki Swift which I could get away with silly stuff in a FWD :P

Yes the gen 1 version before they made the cars more understeery. I found it to be good, except that most of the work in an MR2 seems to get done by the rear tires, the front just stops the car scraping on the ground. So at the track, the rear tires overheat waaayyyy quicker than the front, and once they start losing grip you cant stop sliding everywhere, so they get hotter and you lose even more grip.

The Carina (on same sized rims, same tires) heats the tires much more evenly, the rears ever so slightly get hotter first.

Can you run your new engine on 91? I only use 95, and on 91 from previous owner it had a lot of knocking/detonation in lower RPMS. I think increases in technology means that newer engines with higher compression ratios can sufficiently use 91 with no knocking.

I probably could run it on 91 if I had to, and programmed the ignition to pull lots of timing out. But I run it on 98 so that I can advance the timing a bit more, with safety margin.

My daily driven car has an 11:1 compression ratio that I run on 91 though, but it's designed to run on shitty gas and doesnt exactly get a thrashing.

Lol Roman, your head, inlet, cams, and exhaust will be all costing you HP, and you are worried about the shape of the bellmouth?

Bellmouth cost less than a beer at the pub.

So the point is that it's good considering the price, and still better than a naked inlet.

But $$$$ ones likely cost $$$$$ because it's more a lot more difficult to make the ideal shape.

2 stage injection will be going as soon as Link releases their next firmware version which supports it better for NA stuff.
There's no point in setting it up prior to this, as I'd just have to redo it again. But it's on the cards, due in a month or two.

Already been there done that with quads, it was easily the worst money I've spent on this car. For a variety of reasons. That ship has sailed already.

None of the above means anything either way until I've got a clutch, which happens some time after my Aussie trip.

Remaking an air filter box costs almost nothing apart from time, which during winter I've got plenty of. Once it's done I can easily compare to existing data to see if there are tangible improvements.

• Like 1

but you know have the link ,wouldnt a set of black tops and your mates inlet give you some more power going by using tps for power 

also try a std altezza clutch and pressure plate thats what i use ,trick is double strap the pressure plate 

• 2 weeks later...