Romans COD piece

I approve of this.  I have a similar setup in mine however limited to a storm but still have used all inputs/outputs/DI's incl logging oil pressure/fuel pressure etc. Setting it up so that power will be pulled with any significant drop in either.  My thinking is the Link will catch it far quicker than I could.

• Like 1

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dave was just looking at your graph. cant you advance the cam up to 45 %at all from 1600 revs then have a look at 6000 and start to retard the cam back and leave it on at about 4% when you get to red line 

the 12% looks good 

but you really need a dyno to plot the very best runs and smooth it out from zero throttle up to 100%throttle

Yeah some dyno time is on the cards at some point for sure.

But I thought this would be a good way to get a rough setup for trackday today, and it worked well... For a little while at least haha.

Hmmm okay I'll experiment with advancing the cam further some more.
However my alternator charge wire popped out after my 40 degrees advanced run.
And this was midnight before trackday so decided to call it a day and setup with that.

Once my alternator is fixed I'll play around with it some more.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont actually know to be honest.

I did a bit of reading up previously which suggested that a single pintle design generally has a very narrow spray pattern compared to other designs (which is crappy for when you've got them right by the head, but good for things like this)

However yeah, perhaps I need to bench test them and actually have a look. Might be that the spray pattern is way wider than expected.

Come to the Nats trackday KPR!! :D

If finding out the ideal timing for the outboard injectors to be used is anything like deciding on how to set up VVT then you should do a full tune without them, then a full tune with only them on (say from 2500rpm onwards if there is concern about them not working correctly at low RPM's) - overlay the results (dyno or virtual dyno) and make a mix of the two.

But I dont think I can really get this right without a dyno, and having a way to check individual cylinders for running rich/lean.

EGT Sensors?

so you are going 2 stage .ok 1st you might have to check your fuel pressure and lift it up to 75lbs  and make sure it doesnt drop off .so good quality fuel reg.

next set the inboards for idle and power and tune these for up to 50% throttle then from 3500 rpm after 50% start blending in the outboards all the way through using your 2 fuel tables at 100% throttle have the inboards 5% and out boards 95% 

and last im hoping your ecu has 8 injector drivers 

also dave whats your ign test advance as mine is 15 and we are using 26 ign timming for a std motor 

• Like 2

Ahhh okay thanks Glenn.

Yeah I've got 8 injector drivers.

What do you mean by ignition test advance? You mean ignition advance at full throttle?

Mine is currently 22 degrees across the board from 3500rpm up, because I dont have a good way to monitor knock yet (some stuff is on the way)

Okay cool thanks, I'm guessing that minimal ignition timing at WOT happens at 6000rpm or there abouts (looks to be peak torque) and then tapers off a bit either side of that?

One thing I dont get is that ignition timing doesnt seem to advance relative to rpm by very much.

For example 6000rpm doesnt have twice as much advance as 3000rpm, so it's only got half of the time to ignite etc.

at 100% throttles from 0is 9 

400rpm is 9

800is 9at 2400 is changes to 13 at 2800is 15 

at 32 its 18 at 3200 its 18 

at 36i have 19 

4000its 23

same at 4400

46its 25

at 48its the same 

at 5400up to 25.5 same at 5800

at 6000.its up to 26 at 72its 24 at 7600 back to 25and  at 8000its back to 26 and 82up to 27 and 84 up to 27 

this is a std black top ign table 

cam timming on std black top with VVTI 

again at 100% throttle 

800 is 10 

1600 is 15 

2000 is 25 

24 is 35 

28 is 45 

32 is 45 

36 is 45 

4000 is 45 

44 is 45

48 is 45 

52 is 45 

56 is 44 

6000 is 35 

64 is 30 

68 is 25 

76 is 15 

8000 is 15 

and 8200 is 15 

84 is 12 

and 8800 is 5 

• Like 1

ok my 2 stage injection timming  set up btdc

main table 800rpm is 185 through to 4800 

at 52 its 175 

at 56 its 165 

at 60  155

64  145 

68 135 

72 125 

7600 115

at 8000 its 95  end of injection timming 

out board 

800 rpm 340 to 2000 

24 try 320 

28 try 300

32 280 

36 285 

40 290 

4400 290 

56 is 290 

60 280 

64  280 

84 is 260 and 240 for 8800

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I've gone a bit arse about face with my suspension... I spent $$$ on things like rosejointed castor arms, big brakes etc but then my springs and shocks are utter junk! Skimped on probably the most important parts which is a bit silly.

The front springs are random items found in random Mazda coilovers by my neighbour, front shocks are unknown and my rear shocks are from a hilux or something.

The front of the car doesnt dip - the back raises up. This was the first thing that I asked, to people who were watching it.

It rides a little harshly and I'm sure it could be better while also handling better - it's on the to-do list.

The front swaybar is 24mm I think, I got it made to 1 or 2mm bigger diameter than standard. Although it's length is a lot longer as it needs to go around the front of the Altezza sump. Not running a rear swaybar at all.

Front springs are at a guess somewhere in the region of 6kgmm ( 335lb) and rear springs I had made to 3.5kgmm (195lb)

The spring rates feel nice, a lot nicer than when the car was super stiff all around.
But I think my shocks are what's letting it down at the moment, although I think 4 link angle changes will make the biggest difference out of anything right now.

im using bilstein and got them made to suit rally suspension as the old race 1s were to hard .the back will lift if the shocks are shit ,im up to 27mm on the front adjustable sway bar and up to the max for adjustment .your car and mine should be similar in length and weight ,i still use std rubber bushes in the back from ra60 celicas and on the front.. nolathane bushes in the front  lower arms etc.. my spring rates are 220 on the back and 350 on the front and im using spring rubbers which are cut in half and add 15 lbs when pushed into the springs for around the island 

the rear sway only is a std toyota 12mm sway bar .my 4 links are std as we cant adjust but can do things in other ways like my new cambered rear end 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...