Romans COD piece

oh man its amazing what a difference it makes now with no leaks pre oxy sensor. took it for a drive around 50 zones and motorway and was getting high 6/low 7l per 100k. it was back up to 11-12 for leadfoot with the leaky 2-1 section. so gasket will pay itself off in saved fuel pretty quick! fingers crossed this one does the trick will hopefully have clutch sorted in time for the late november twilight session.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah there's plenty of time to Nats, so it's no drama to get it changed before then if need be.

It's only slipped a few times in total, any time after the first I've been super wary and backed off straight away...

It's probably taken a lot less abuse from that, than a clutch gets with a learner driver hahaha.

So hopefully there's plenty more life in it as 7-8000kms is a pretty stink run for a clutch I guess.

Nats hoons for sure!

Oh yeah?

I dont know much about fuel pump options as I've never used anything apart from standard ones before.

What are the downsides of an external pump? Extra noise?

It seems a lot easier to fix any issues that way.

It's a pain the ass dropping the gas tank to get to the pump currently.

Bosch external from any old merc audi or similar will do the job. They usually come with a nice cradle that holds a filter aswel for max ease of installation and they are not too noisy if not solid mounted

Get one from PAP,pocket the fuel pump pay $10 for the bracket that holds it then no loss if you get home and its broken/they dont die usually

• Like 1

Cool cheers...

I'm 99% sure I've got a spare pump that will fit to get my car going again in the short term.

But I'll definitely be looking to get a brand new pump in there in coming weeks so I dont have this same thing again, pickapart specials seems to be how I get into these sorts of situations to start with hahaha. But having a cradle etc to go with it that's easy to fit will be handy!

Although I'll probably just be lazy and replace with another intake pump rather than reinvent the wheel. I've found a few places online that sell replacement MA61 pumps so might try one of these as it'll be plug and play.

Aahhh it looks as though the factory fuel pump is horrifically generic:

ic4ysbmp.ost.jpg

So there are good odds I'll be able to get a Toyota or aftermarket one for a decent price hopefully.

When it was working fine it had more than enough gumption for the motor so I'll stick with that.

Basically you will get a new china 044 and nice alloy bracket for $50 to your door. They are great, and while not as good quality as a genuine Bosch item they are absolutely perfect for a 200 hp na car. I have a friend who went through 3 second hand pumps before he bought a china 044 and he hasn't had another issue.

They are a bit noisy though, but when the car is running you can't really hear it.

For whatever reason the early carinas/celicas had external pump tanks then later went to internal. Maybe for noise or simplicity reasons perhaps.

Since this car had a carb with a non baffled tank for starters I think I intentionally went for an internal pump tank as it seemed simpler to setup EFI with.

But in hindsight the external pump tank might have been the better pick... Ahh well no drama.
It just takes an hour or three longer to do a pump swap job that hopefully only happens once ever :)

But yeah for now I'll find an OEM replacement that just bangs straight in and hopefully lasts longer than it needs to.

Cool that's a pretty sweet price for an external setup!

These days my patience wears thin pretty quickly when it's off the road though.
Downtime minimum, tracktime/funtime maximum.
I'm trying to compensate for the too many years that this car has been off the road already haha.
So a brand new in tank pump replacement seems quickest/easiest/most reliable way to go from here.

Yeah i have been thinking about it! but i dont think it would be possible. Partially because of where its located but also its a mission to get in or out even when the tank is on the ground. Needs to do a cork screw to get past the baffles and id probably need to cut half the floor out haha.

• Like 1

I asked around a few local suppliers, prices for a fuel pump were between $180-300 for OEM equivilent but not Toyota Genuine.

No one really wanted to give me any confirmation on what brand or whatever, so there's no way to know that I'm not just buying a $20 Ebay one anyway :(

So I did just that haha, Aliexpress $50 shipped. Cheers for the steer in the right direction Rookie.

It looks as though fuel pumps from the 90s model Toyotas will fit up fine too, so might look for an ST202 or similar equivilent at Zebra or wherever and keep that as a spare for long trips incase my Ali special shits the bed.

• Like 2