Romans COD piece

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aahh true! Nah I havent seen that before, will have a geez later.

Man I'd love to get a tunable ECU - But wont be able to for a long time yet. Maybe by next summer.

In the meantime I'll have to stick with satisfying my nerdy urges with trying to squeeze some more out of the motor on standard computer haha.

It doesnt hurt to learn how things work in the meantime.

I read it all but i wasn't exactly sure where you ended up in a physical change sense.

Are you thinking to return to a full factory air filter box that is uncut but then inlet ducted into the front bar in almost a "ram air" setup?

Or are you going to re-pipe the intake completely moving the filter (to pod or otherwise) into the bumper area?

I suggest you cast some custom alloy pipe-work that is finned to aid in heat dispersal.

How much space is in the air-box/can you dump a stack of ice in there to see the differences of intake temps? Mind you, at ~30° that shit will melt fairly fast. Probably not ideal/waternotsomuchinjection.

Are you thinking to return to a full factory air filter box that is uncut but then inlet ducted into the front bar in almost a "ram air" setup?

More or less, yeah!

So it would pull air from just behind the headlights.

Or perhaps have some longer ducting on that far side, if there's an area close by which is naturally at a higher pressure when the car is moving.

Bits of alloy shaped so it's got a forward facing mouth (as currently the inlet hole is at the back of the airbox/ facing the tire)

However because I'm a noob I've just realised (via the sound it makes haha) that at full lock turning left the wheel rubs on it because of the caster and wheel offset.

D'oh.

It Looked like had heaps of room when the wheels are straight / serves me right for not checking. Will fix it up tomorrow :)

In other news though the MAF readings are higher than before (so more air in the motor/ MOAR POWAR!) and it is definitely making power right to redline.

My MR2 which had 127kw ATW made max power below 7000rpm, this shows peak power 7350 rpm, just below the 7400rpm cut.

So might be over the 130kw mark perhaps / probably as higher drivetrain losses than a transaxle.

Either way it's running really well, and cant wait for another trackday to pop up!

Ive no doubt youre correct about the link. However ive only got limited car money for the next while, so its pretty much:

Trackdays and consumables

OR

ECU or other spendy bits

Trackdays win! I need practice driving more than another 500rpm.

• Like 1