si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

Isn't there something like if you have fog lights they need to be wired up and working (or did they get rid of this rule a few years back)? You't think there would be a similar rule for other lights.

7 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

Isn't there something like if you have fog lights they need to be wired up and working (or did they get rid of this rule a few years back)? You't think there would be a similar rule for other lights.

Thanks for adding zero value as per usual

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We often have trucks in with many lights, as long as they're on their own switches to disconnect them from the highbeam/light circuit we ignore them at wof time.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, UTERUS said:

Thanks for adding zero value as per usual

Ok, here is an answer with value for you:

According to the WoF Virm, you have a work lamp. The work lamp is NOT considered a cosmetic lamp. Therefore it can emit light in any direction.

The work lamp is perfectly legal as long as it is NOT operated by any switch that operates mandatory lamps.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/cosmetic-lamps

You happy now?

• Like 4

Going by this you can remove the wash system on pre 92's, and it does not require LVV certification. Should be gravy.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vision/windscreen-wipe-wash

Modifications

7. An OE windscreen washing system may be removed from a vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1992.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Traction control (not stability); if there is an issue with it, and there is a warning on the dash that TC is disabled, can it fail a WOF? I had a skim over the VIRM and cant see anything saying its a fail?

Hi, I want to put anti-glare overlay/sticker at the top of the windscreen - I have this thing

vht.jpg.3461e9eb97e6e045ad62fafceceb28a5.jpg

and also a black signwriter sticker.

Just looking at VIRM regarding windscreen anti-glare overlay and this is what it says verbatim.

• the overlay is transparent, and
  • the overlay does not extend below the bottom edge of the vehicle’s OE sun visors when they are folded down as far as possible towards the windscreen, and
  • the overlay does not contain print below a line that is 100 mm below and parallel to the top edge of the windscreen (Note 4).
  • Note 4

Any OE opaque edging (usually black) is not considered part of the windscreen when determining the boundaries of the CVA, or the areas permitted for stickers, print on an anti-glare band, or radio antennae.

Regarding the second bullet point, I take it it's looking at the windscreen from outside, perpendicular to the windscreen, as opposed to looking out, while sitting in the driver's seat? 

I ask this because when the sun visor is fully folded down, there is usually a gap between the windscreen and the visor, giving you more sun blocking than the overlay matched to the sun visor from the outside. I'm guessing the intent of the rule is to ensure the visibility with the overlay is no worse than the OE setup. 

With regards to the bullet point 3, it says overlay print is ok as long as it's within 100mm from the top edge (or from the lower edge of the OE opaque edging, if applicable?) - can it be opaque? If so, what stops one from putting on a full opaque overlay with 100mm width? Seems like The bullet points 1 & 3 are a bit contradictory or am I reading too much into it?

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

Cheers.

On topic of overlays,

coloured window tints on all windows apart from windscreen,  ‘legal’ or nah?

i understand black tints, and the min 35% vlt / overlays can’t reflect and dazzle other drivers. But let’s say one wants to tint all windows yellow/blue/other colours for no reason other than scene points

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there any possible reason other than scene? Have seen blue done on a show car before, which from memory was all road legal.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2617510/1994-toyota-corolla/photo-gallery/

Quick question time. Are there requirements to have locating rings for mags for cert? I may end up with nothing left to fit a locating ring to when fitting mag wheels. Wheels in question have tapered wheel nuts. Have browsed the wheels / tyres PDF, but still not sure. Figured it might be an easy one you'd come across quite often. Aiming to not use any spacers.

26 minutes ago, Bling said:

Quick question time. Are there requirements to have locating rings for mags for cert? I may end up with nothing left to fit a locating ring to when fitting mag wheels. Wheels in question have tapered wheel nuts. Have browsed the wheels / tyres PDF, but still not sure. Figured it might be an easy one you'd come across quite often. Aiming to not use any spacers.

I didn't need them when getting a cert.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bling said:

My certifier said yes; so I had to make some up, as they weren't available in the sizes I needed.

My friend has an HK Monaro and his rear axle has nowhere to put locating rings on the hubs (hilux diff conversion), so his certifier said he didn't need them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm yeah pretty sure i'll have nowhere to actually put a locating ring. Will see what certifier says in a few weeks.

• Like 1