Chemical dipping shell

markw

I have my car stripped down to a shell, and am considering chemical dipping to strip the paint and other matter. I have had a place in Rotorua recommended, but that would be a long haul from Auckland with a car trailer. Does anybody know of other shops around the north island that provide this kind of service?

On 28/09/2023 at 12:57, markw said:

I have my car stripped down to a shell, and am considering chemical dipping to strip the paint and other matter. I have had a place in Rotorua recommended, but that would be a long haul from Auckland with a car trailer. Does anybody know of other shops around the north island that provide this kind of service?

Is that place in penrose still going?

Don't know about car regs but I've seen a bike frame which was dipped to remove powdercoat - and subsequently broke. Internal acid damage.  I've been told at some point in the past that Motorsport NZ won't certify tubular rollcages which have been dip stripped No idea if that is still a current reg.

On 05/10/2023 at 19:25, GregT said:

Don't know about car regs but I've seen a bike frame which was dipped to remove powdercoat - and subsequently broke. Internal acid damage.  I've been told at some point in the past that Motorsport NZ won't certify tubular rollcages which have been dip stripped No idea if that is still a current reg.

You can't get the shit out of the frame and for ever after the paint will come off around the seams, if you have it power coated after it will be a total mess

There's a well known story in the local bike world. BMS in Wgtn landed a set of ultra light rims for a race Ducati but they were the wrong colour powdercoat. So into the bath they went....

And never came out again.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

On 05/10/2023 at 17:14, governorsam said:

Read something the other day about new rules coming into effect if a car has been acid washed and certification/wof inspections.

something @cletus may know about?

Since ive been digging around the hell hole that is entry certification, here's the acid wash deets

https://www.repaircert.nz/media/2022/10/Technical-Bulletin_02-2022_Acid-Wash.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yay, we did it exactly according to the approved procedure on Andrew's subframe and suspension.

I particularly like the images in that Tech Bulletin - super pixelated when showing defects but clear as day for a finished job.....

• 5 months later...

On the topic of correct surface prep.... I have a 1960s engine with magnesium castings that I want to clean (blast?) and have an anti corrosion surface treatment applied. Originally this was a DOW chemicals dichromate passivation that is specific to magnesium castings. Does anyone know a way to do this or a company that does this in Auckland? Datlow - your comment about not dipping Ferrari magnesium wheels in acid wash comes to mind.

I guess the question is, how badly will they corrode/oxidize if left unpassivated in your particular application?

A friend gave his Alfa magnesium bell-housing and transaxle nose a tickle up and then gave them a quick squirt of clear. Last time I saw them they were still bright and shiny.

3 hours ago, rossnzwpi said:

On the topic of correct surface prep.... I have a 1960s engine with magnesium castings that I want to clean (blast?) and have an anti corrosion surface treatment applied. Originally this was a DOW chemicals dichromate passivation that is specific to magnesium castings. Does anyone know a way to do this or a company that does this in Auckland? Datlow - your comment about not dipping Ferrari magnesium wheels in acid wash comes to mind.

When I was doing aviation stuff with Mg, SafeAir/Airbus in Blenheim were the only people in NZ doing it, and somewhat difficult to get a job in, might be worth getting in touch with the warbird guys?

As you're in Auckland I'd give Ken MacIntosh a ring. A large proportion of Manx Norton engine castings are Magnesium so he'd know who's got chromate in the area. I've seen bits come out of Auto Restorations here in ChCh which have been chromate treated so it's available.

Some years back I was trying to do a restoration on castings which had been done with a greenish chromate. Much investigation revealed it was an obsolete NATO treatment. Black/brown seem to be all that's available.

The other thing about the chromate finish is there is/was NO standard shade of green. It varied batch to batch, day to day, hour to hour and I've seen it everywhere from almost duck-egg blue, to an almost brown/black with plenty of tans, khakis and greens in between.

On 01/04/2024 at 16:43, GregT said:

As you're in Auckland I'd give Ken MacIntosh a ring. A large proportion of Manx Norton engine castings are Magnesium so he'd know who's got chromate in the area. I've seen bits come out of Auto Restorations here in ChCh which have been chromate treated so it's available.

Some years back I was trying to do a restoration on castings which had been done with a greenish chromate. Much investigation revealed it was an obsolete NATO treatment. Black/brown seem to be all that's available.

Last time we did a mag casting it got vapour blasted 

It's and engine crank case so no coating.  Just left bare mag 

3 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Last time we did a mag casting it got vapour blasted 

It's and engine crank case so no coating.  Just left bare mag 

I saw the run of JAP's for 500cc cars. Before assembly. Dark brown chromate on the crankcase satings. Wasn't told who did it.

On 01/04/2024 at 12:44, rossnzwpi said:

I don't think Ken will do this work for anything other than his own parts. I do have a bath that I can dichromate mag parts in. If you can get the parts bead blasted, and to me within a day of blasting (as magnesium oxidises quickly and the dichromate won't work then) then  I can do them for you. I normally charge $100 for whatever you can get in the bath in one go, its about 600mm round and 500 deep from memory. So a couple of motorcycle case should be no problem.  The parts will come out anywhere from dark brown or dark grey to black, all depending on the magnesium alloy. 

• Like 5