Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah…. Similar to above I’ve seen “flywheels” offered for manual conversions on V8 Audis which retain the flex plate for the ring gear and timing ring , just adding the minimum material to attach a clutch to as a bolt-on extra. Bolts to the crank with the flex plate sandwiched between them. Very light and (relatively) cheap.

• Like 3

Yeah that flywheel is my next best option. However it doesnt have anything to hold a spigot bearing to support the input shaft which the rwd gearbox needs.

Since ive now hopefully got bolts that will work, will try persist with 3s flywheel and clutch for now. As if it works, its a $1000+ problem solved without spending much. 

• Like 3

ah I assumed it was a st185 maybe it was fwd, they only mentioned E series box and I had automatically thought with transfer case. They hug the block pretty close in 3s guise so you are probably right. good i dont need to waste time pipedreaming that one

8 hours ago, Roman said:

Yeah that flywheel is my next best option. However it doesnt have anything to hold a spigot bearing to support the input shaft which the rwd gearbox needs

Got to be possible to get around that provided the g/box input shaft length is in the ballpark. I’ve opened out the centre bore on a couple of my Triumph flywheels to take a small bearing as favoured by Toyota and Mazda. Cheap and fairly easy.

Just a thought, there's a local guy down here that makes billet flywheels for stockcars etc, using the original flex plate ring gears. 

When I had my last one done, I sent to Engine Builders in wellington that said it had the least amount of balancing required of all they'd dealt with till that point?

No reason why he couldn't spin one to suit your needs?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/ford/engines/listing/4154357973

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/05/2023 at 15:34, Roman said:

Cant go forward, because the alternator lives in the way on one side. 

On 01/06/2023 at 16:47, Roman said:

Yeah non standard starter isnt an option. As this starter motor is quite short. I tried 1NZ and 3S starters, but neither would fit because they hit the engine mount.
I found a GR motor starter at pickapart.
You're right, I guess that's another tick in the box for a different flywheel.

So will add that to the list of things to buy after my house sells.
If I get to the point where I can get the motor started up, I guess I can always just put the auto flex plate thing on it for the meantime. Whether or not I've solved gearbox issues.

Left field options:

1/ Run Alt off driveshaft

2/ ditch 'leccy starter, use compressed air reservoir into inlet(s)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^What's that? 

I found the build log of the Japanese guy that built the 2GR KE70. Hoooooly heck he spent a lot of money on trial and error to make things work. 

Anyway, I found out what he did for the sump. 
Used the FWD alloy sump, and chopped the heck out of the oil pan.

So yep this will work but it still sits the motor a lot higher than I'd like it. So hopefully current scheme in mind will still work.

Bake in the paint booth (cardboard guard).  <br />Strictly no fire?  It's impossible!  <br /> Cheap lacquer burns well.  <br /> <br /> Once it's dry, apply the liquid gasket, and it's finally time to install...

• Like 2