Shizzles Mazda Dorito ute

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bud, updates will be small and far apart for a while.

Need to get the hunter on the road, then try and get the wrx ready for an event, but its just bolting seats back in, add belts and a few little bits before the paperwork stuff..

Id love to go full hog into it, but lotto has been slacking

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Absolutely not happening haha

I had flares on a s1 rx7 I bought, never liked them, I’ll leave them for the spitfire rollers

these are 8s so a whole inch wider than OG RX3UTE, I will give the arches a gentle roll with my guard roller.

tyres will be some used semi slicks for now

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How come you're thinking of going triangulated instead of parallel with a panhard rod or watts? You don't have a back seat to worry about, so there's loads of options. 

I reckon a 3 link with panhard rod would be the easiest option and would give you full articulation at any bag height. Can be set up for great handling too.

21 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

How come you're thinking of going triangulated instead of parallel with a panhard rod or watts? You don't have a back seat to worry about, so there's loads of options. 

I reckon a 3 link with panhard rod would be the easiest option and would give you full articulation at any bag height. Can be set up for great handling too.

Mainly availability of components/kits .

I do like the idea of the parallel 4 link and panhard. I think it looks tidier.

I will be doing more research before ordering anything to see if the parallel set up uses even bars etc.

then I might just get some brackets made to do the parallel set up with custom made arms and a generic 4x4 adjustable panhard bar

Typically panhards have never been a great option in the minitruck world due to the larger range of travel that bags give compared to coilovers etc. The added travel makes the panhard push/pull more which wouldn't be an issue if you had skinny rims, but people are usually trying to stuff the biggest diam & widest rims they can under the tray. With limited room between the outer skin and chassis the sideways movement can be an issue. 

To be honest the only bagged ute I can ever remember having a panhard in Nz was @cletus navara, and he might have a story about axle shift vs wheels haha. 

If running a parallel 4-bar, a watts would be the better option, but due the extra cost/engineering of a watts the common choice is a triangulated 4-bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RXFORD said:

If running a parallel 4-bar, a watts would be the better option, but due the extra cost/engineering of a watts the common choice is a triangulated 4-bar.

Good info. I figured there would be some justification for most minitrucks going triangulated. I reckon a watts would be great.

I'm sure you'd be skilled enough to fabricate the 4 link brackets and arms yourself @shizzl, just have to decide on the geometry before locking it down.

• Like 1

I’d prefer to buy fabricated arms, and I can sort brackets from there.

I’ve made arms for my Stockcar’s in the past without any failures. 
I just want to avoid anymore cert dramas.

since you mentioned it, I’m now swayed toward the watts link , with zero side to side change.

very handy when stuffing wides under the tray. Only going with 8s with 225s but the offset is awesome.

I’ll just need to navigate my way through the CCM to see what’s in there about notches, bags and linkage set ups. Wish me luck with that, see ya next year 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...