Romans 2005 Toyota Echo

Roman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah with hindsight one of the mistakes that I made was using red paint on the mould (figured it would help show where it needs sanding etc) 
Now I've got tiny red bits stuck here and there ,and it sticks out heaps.
If it was black instead you wouldnt even see them.
Ahh well!
Know for next time haha. 

• Like 5

Just used some regular spray can paint that I had laying around. 
I dont think the paint or surface finish is so important though, so long as it's smooth.
 @flyingbrick was saying you can use polished up bog as a reliable surface.

Important part is the release wax, use a meguires release wax that you buff into it a few times over, stops a chemical bond of the epoxy to the mould. 
Then some people put the PVA release stuff on it too. 

But you can still mechanically lock your part in place if you havent allowed enough draft angle to let the part pop off. 

Using an Adhesive Technologies epoxy, as it's rated for high temp as I originally bought it to make an intake manifold that would bolt directly to the head.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All good, keen to see in that engine bay of the CET p10 primera Steven Richards peddled, I see the P11 has a flipped head as per most of the later 90s touring cars

Sorry for touring car chat invading your thread romandayf

I did like the Volvo, I think it was, that was also using the same location either side of main intake to take ducts down, presumably to other oil/water coolers/brakes

Who was talking about low intakes? Speeno? All of these seem to sit high

18 hours ago, xsspeed said:

All good, keen to see in that engine bay of the CET p10 primera Steven Richards peddled, I see the P11 has a flipped head as per most of the later 90s touring cars

Sorry for touring car chat invading your thread romandayf

I did like the Volvo, I think it was, that was also using the same location either side of main intake to take ducts down, presumably to other oil/water coolers/brakes

Essentially, it's identical arrangement in that P10 vs the 98 P11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, xsspeed said:

The early cars hard normal heads and big duct work around the front to pickup behind the grill. Then the middle era cars had intakes at the front, usually a pickup behind the grill. Some of the last cars had the intake tied into the air feed from the bumper with full front end carbon ducting, just speculating that it is probably better airflow down that way or just packaging it all into the front aero who knows. Then kinda backhand suggesting that roman needs to move his engine back 30-40cm and flip the axles out the front so he can fit the outboard injection and the filter in nicely.

Renault and honda below.

image.png.77a79fbed07bd2ac92daf8c62a783fed.png

image.png.d3d609a57a47965620fb5970c9043dae.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Unsure about the properties of both materials, but is one of them more flexible than the other?

In that car (1997 Laguna, that's my shot), the radiators and ducting is mounted to a floating "subframe" arrangement hung off little dampers, it also retains the splitter and the undertray. Idea is you run super slammed and it just moves when you strike a ripple strip/curbing on track. Unsure if there is any strength or cost differential between them, but a quick Google suggests the aramid fibre is much less brittle than carbon so it could have a bearing on why those particular components are made out of the stuff?

• Like 5