Willdat's this wasn't supposed to be a project Honda Beagle

Willdat?

Early last year I was on the hunt for a car I could take mates on MTB/tramping missions, without caring that I night come back to it with smashed windows etc.

be4ver was selling this in Ashburton - after a few hands through the OSGC freight service, (cheers Karl and Corbie) it made its way to Hanmer where I got to know it better by spending 2 nights sleeping in it.

bfel54h3.uha.jpg

After watching VGs achievements in the Carib I had decided that 4WD was the logical next step to waghappiness. I came across the weird vehicle that is the Honda Beagle - as far as I can tell this was Honda's last attempt to get rid of shells they had stockpiled, as it was sold alongside not only the EG, but also the EK Civics.

1994_Honda_Civic_Shuttle_Beagle_4WD_002_

A few months ago one came up for sale in Nelson, and I convincingly sold the idea to my wahine. I turned the Shuttle and new Beagle into this

u4v5jjv2.aca.jpg

and this.

r3xbnsqy.tr5.jpg

The Shuttle sold within a day, and I enjoyed mucking around in the Beagle - it's far more capable in mud than it has any right to be. The only issue was a stuck ABS solenoid making a horrific noise - skillfully internet diagnosed by KK.

Last weekend I took it on its first decent open road mission to the local OS monthly meet with all the whanau on board. Unfortunately after ~ 100km it lost oil pressure at idle and started making an awful knocking noise. I towed it home on Monday night (stupid me not opting for AA plus BEFORE I needed it).

My brother volunteered his workshop as neither of us has mucked around with east/west engine layouts - having put feelers out for a new engine in a few places it looks like I may have sourced one of these.

Honda-ZC-DOHC.jpg

It's a ZC DOHC but with a few other goodies - we'll see how good once it shows up! Aiming for this to be back on the road ASAP, but with an absolute deadline of Hanmer.

• Like 7

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they were.

True! At that stage I'd only owned a 1980 Accord and a 1983 Prelude so figured my judgement may have been a little off.

The engine I've lined up apparently has been rebuilt with a 10.5:1 compression ratio, headers and a chipped ECU.

• Like 1

Picked up Shane's (sidewayssickness) engine crane tonight and started to tuck into the removal. 4WD, ABS, PS, AC and hydraulic clutch make for one very packed and awkward engine bay. Trying to remove as little as possible to make our lives easier when it comes to reinstalling it all. 

Maaate, friend and I pretty much did this swap in half a day. Cool build though, real fun and has plenty of kick for a wee hunk of crap :P

There's lots of info on Civicwagon.com if you need it

Ha awesome, my brother and I are taking our time at it so it will take a fair bit longer I'd imagine.

Did you take any photos of during? I'm suspicious we're stripping it back further than absolutely necessary!

My questions, which civicwagon seems a little vaguer on are AC and ABS. Did yours have them and did you manage to keep them both functional?