Willdat's this wasn't supposed to be a project Honda Beagle

Willdat?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But is it a significant enough power increase? Factory figures show 108hp for sohc zc, 120hp for dohc. So a little over 10%?

Or is the power increase figure only with regards to needing a cert on the oe engine modified?

In which case one could argue its the stock engine, just has a dohc head bolted to it. Which you could have done with the old engine.

Be like a non type r integra having a type r engine fitted, both are stamped as b18c but one is more powerful

Will my vehicle require LVV certification if I increase the engine size?

Yes the LVV threshold table states that the replacement engine must be equal or lesser capacity than the OE engine so LVV certification is required.

Will I require LVV certification if I increase the power of my engine?

LVV certification will be required if the increase in power is more than 20%. Adding a supercharger or turbocharger automatically requires certification.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided letting my brother have 2 weeks of peace and quiet at his place after a new niece arrived was enough. Engine back on mounts with no hiccups (Except for a power steering line that will need to be routed correctly). Bonnet clearance looks to be tight visually - but civicwagon.com reckons it's not an issue.

Tomorrow I should have everything sorted except for, ECU, dIzzy and dizzy wiring as all parts are still waiting to be sent from Auckland. Departing for Hanmer in 12 days.

Decided letting my brother have 2 weeks of peace and quiet at his place after a new niece arrived was enough. Engine back on mounts with no hiccups (Except for a power steering line that will need to be routed correctly). Bonnet clearance looks to be tight visually - but civicwagon.com reckons it's not an issue.

Tomorrow I should have everything sorted except for, ECU, dIzzy and dizzy wiring as all parts are still waiting to be sent from Auckland. Departing for Hanmer in 12 days.

Parts arrived yesterday - mostly sorted except for a power steering pump that blew my mind for 2 hours. Only to find tonight the seller had sent me the wrong pump. Will be re-sent on Monday, better be here Tuesday so I have some fault finding time!

tight schedule nice 

Be prepared for a phone call Thursday night with me in tears...

Make sure you bleed power steering well, super easy to do. I didnt and spent ages fault finding only to find I just needed to spin the steering wheel a few more times haha

Ha, cheers. The manual makes that sound so easy I can see how you could miss it - I'll spin it twice as many times as I think I should! 

Most things are going pretty well - wiring is now sorted. Came across another engine seller balls up this afternoon - the crank pulley he sent was not the correct one. Hopefully it will come down with the PS pump. Tossing up whether to refit radiator now or after I fit the PS pump. Kind of want to get it in so I can test fire the engine.

edit: Tablet photo for thread - fitted radiator - then decided to be a grown up about it and wait for the PS pump to arrive. Pressurised fuel system.

Pump gets sent Monday - should arrive Tuesday. Wednesday at latest. 

All I have left to do is fit pump, belts, radiator, fill then bleed radiator and PS and we should be all systems go.

352d0jxk.3kr.jpg
  • Like 1

Quick update albeit pictureless - there may be some videos at some stage

23/8 PS Pump arrived, installed along with belts and radiator. Turned over but no firing - spark plug socket too fat to fit so abandoned for the night.

24/8 Spark plugs replaced - fired, had big exhaust leaks and idled at ~3k with an error code

25/8 High temp silicone RTV installed - drove car around block but no power, now multiple errors codes

26/8 Did some more trouble shooting - replaced idle control valve with one off old engine, adjusted timing by ear - still probably need a timing light to get it all sorted. About 9ish I'd driven 50km and was convinced I was going to drive to Hanmer in the morning. Started dieing randomly without an ECU code - I think there's a dodgy connector on the distributor but it drives sooooo nicely. Will find in the morning and see how we shape up for Hanmer in the afternoon.

• Like 1

What codes is it throwing?

Check that the plug pins havnt pushed out the back of the plug

Not throwing a code at all now- car is humming along (happened twice at 50km/h and once at 90) and all of a sudden fuel/spark cuts out and it cruises to a stop. Get into the engine bay - wiggle a few connections and normal service resumes. I plan to get it running this morning and figure out what I need to wiggle to get it to cut out, then retension all the pins in that plug.

Modified distributor cap from SOHC ZC with a Dremel - appears to have sorted intermittent dieing.

A shame that it wasn't sorted before Hanmer - but not bad considering we had nothing more than an engine sitting next to the car 14 days ago.

Quite happy to have it home. Need to sort a catalytic converter replacement, something a little more free flowing wouldn't do the DOHC ZC any harm either. Super keen on avoiding drone if any one has any experience/clever ideas!

nbrcduoz.dur.jpg

• Like 3