UJ builds a cabin in them thar hills

Unclejake

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ don't forget that absolutely everything (except for water, but including electricity) needs to travel on my back for 4 minutes of steep, muddy and slippery climb. 

Concrete is one of the least pleasant things to carry (even in nice dry bags), but I get what you mean. I'll chisel at the rock a bit later. I've got enough to do to keep me busy until December without starting on the stairs

Ahhh yes... good point. I forgot about that hill thing. Its the same issue for us once we start building on the ridge. I want to avoid anything concrete/heavy/awkward at all costs.

Or build a 4wd farm ute/bike thingee.  But your land is too steep for anything vehicle like Iirc?

Employ Egyptian workers. They can shift rock.

• 1 month later...

Ha. Thanks for that but the issue was not timber runners. It was the prospect of chiselling out another cubic metre of rock to form the main entrance way.

I decided on an indirect nature walk instead. It'll be delightful.

I have a couple of other sets of stairs to build once the pavers are down, but they will use native runners and treads as I have some demo timber to use up

• 6 months later...

After much deliberation I went with visible stainless steel screws for both this cabin deck and the deck at home... and I am SO GLAD I did as I've needed to pull up boards on both decks over the course of the last year or so. 

I chose a Simpson Strongtie hardwood to softwood screw, but that was largely to do with the shape of the head which is personal preference. Getting them all in a straight line helped make the visible screws look OK. I'd never do anything but a simple vertically fixed screw for a deck now. They cost more and take longer than nails, but they are much better at staying put and give you the luxury of being able to lift or replace a board with minimal fuss.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...