I need a new welding helmet

rusty360

Miller Elite is just about the goto helmet everybody in trade seems to use these days and I liked the one I used at my last job with air pack.   

Speedglas is overpriced.  Other than that they are generally pretty good.

When I look at a helmet I look for three things.

4 sensors.   (4 tig its the most important thing end of story)

colour of the shade and if I like it or not as every autodark seems a bit different from the next.

comfort of the headgear.

My only gripe about the miller Elite is the colour of the shade I never liked the green but its acceptable.

I have a top of the line Balder  that I imported from the UK and imo this has the best clearest display and the bluish tint when active is nice (they use a slightly different tech to most for the autodark).   I reckon this is the best Mig helmet money can buy.  The issue with this helmet is it only has two sensors and unless its on the highest sensitivity setting I find myself getting flashed in TIG sometimes.    But I like the colour of the shade and the headgear so much I live with it.   When they bring out a 4 sensor version im going to be all over it.

The real balder version is better as you can get it with shade switch on the outside of the helmet and shades 6 to 13 with grinding modes etc.   The Jackson versions tend to be more basic.

This is the Kimberly Clark / Jackson version.   Not as good as the top shelf Balder  that you can get from the UK but its the same helmet with less options for all intensive purposes.

http://store.cyberweld.com/jababh3audaw.html

The Balder version:

http://www.balder.si/index.php?sv_path=4546,5985,6968

The noticeable difference with this balder to any other helmet that I know of is you can see colour when the shade isnt on.  You can read the red displays most welders tend to have with the helmet down!   Try that with other brands...  You cant see shit with those.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Thread dredge.

I bought a cheap-ish CIGWeld helmet a couple of years ago which works fine on MIG and TIG. The issue I have is that I have trouble seeing what I'm doing when welding. Since I usually am just working at low amps/power I have it set on the minimum shade of 9, but can really just see the arc, not the metal around it.

I note that some auto- models adjust down to shade 8, but I'm not sure if that would make an actual difference or not?

Or would I be better off getting some portable lighting onto the weld area?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kicker said:

I had a similar problem till I noticed a plastic film on the lens that I was supposed to remove :)

Was that a mechpro one from repco/appco? 

I had the exact same issue. My welding is still yuck, but at least I can see. 

Had a spewpercheap auto darken helmet didn't last was crap

bought a 99$ one from a welding supplies guy on trademe in Nelson works good for price has grind setting and was in faux carbon cos it's hard to find one without some horrendous graphics these days 

10/10 would trade again 

Shade definitely makes a huge difference especially when you are (example) under a vehicle and there is fuck all light. The Optrel Vegaview  goes down to something like a 2.5 shade and is supposed to be a delight to use (but $$)

You definitely want multiple sensors above and below the screen- especially on cheaper helmets (more expensive ones have other ways of sensing the arc and can make do with less)

External switches are GREAT- you will discover this as soon as you need to get ur hand up in there to flick into grind mode)

All the reading I have done about arc eye and auto darken helmets suggests that you won't get arc eye thru the lens even if the auto darken is not working 

not that keen to test it out too much myself but I did google the hell out of the subject when my cheapy helmet was cutting in and out 

any welding professionals wanna enlighten or endarken  us more about that? 

• Like 1

I threw away my shithouse auto darken  helmet  http://www.weldingsupplies.co.nz/shop/Welding+Accessories/Safety+Equipment/Welding+Helmets/Automatic/Lincoln+Powercraft+Welding+Helmet.html suspect it was a battery issue but it was a soldered in battery and CBF messing about with it. was probably 4yrs old though. maybe not a bad run for the price. and new helmet is of similar questionable quality but at least has a replaceable battery.

I tend to go superdark for MIG 12-14, and dial it brighter maybe 8-9-10 for tig depending on amps and ambient light. darker for AC tig as mostly i need more amps.

someone should invent some bluetooth thing that works off welder amps signal to auto darken helmet to correct level based on amperage  and not need light sensor and have delay.

• Like 1

My old helmet (about 18 years old actually) had the internal batteries die. I replaced them with a couple of C-cells inside the helmet in a holder. Currently has a couple of AA's stuck in there. Still works OK. Harbour Freight makes some quality gear!

• Like 1

I had a closer look at the Cigweld helmet, turns out it has a grinding switch and delay hidden inside. That didn't help with the visual issue (actually made it worse when I accidentally welded on the grinding setting).

Not sure that I'm ready to drop $$$ without being able to try one out to see if it is better. Will do some more research.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjrstar said:

I threw away my shithouse auto darken  helmet  http://www.weldingsupplies.co.nz/shop/Welding+Accessories/Safety+Equipment/Welding+Helmets/Automatic/Lincoln+Powercraft+Welding+Helmet.html suspect it was a battery issue but it was a soldered in battery and CBF messing about with it. was probably 4yrs old though. maybe not a bad run for the price. and new helmet is of similar questionable quality but at least has a replaceable battery.

I tend to go superdark for MIG 12-14, and dial it brighter maybe 8-9-10 for tig depending on amps and ambient light. darker for AC tig as mostly i need more amps.

someone should invent some bluetooth thing that works off welder amps signal to auto darken helmet to correct level based on amperage  and not need light sensor and have delay.

The latest optrel helmet has (I forget what they call it) automatic shade variation based on arc brightness.

My current helmet senses some voodoo and doesn't even need a visible arc to darken...hold handpiece in the air Infront of helmet..click the HF start button and the helmet will darken.. :-D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Transom said:

All the reading I have done about arc eye and auto darken helmets suggests that you won't get arc eye thru the lens even if the auto darken is not working 

not that keen to test it out too much myself but I did google the hell out of the subject when my cheapy helmet was cutting in and out 

Not sure on the brand but I used a nice autodarken helmet that the battery had gone flat, was in a rush so not keen to leave it in the sun to charge up, did ~5min of painful squinting and somehow no arc-eye.

6 hours ago, Transom said:

Not sure on the brand but I used a nice autodarken helmet that the battery had gone flat, was in a rush so not keen to leave it in the sun to charge up, did ~5min of painful squinting and somehow no arc-eye.