Roman

Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Recommended Posts

On 18/10/2020 at 09:49, Toucan said:

Quick Q.

Rear brake pads have a 3 prong clip that goes inside the Piston. I see lots of replacements without this clip. Assuming it is fine without but wanted to check. Mainly so I can purchase pads from Rock Auto at a fraction of the price

Only just saw this, is it just the thin backing plate? Bit late on the reply eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a place that sells vintage tires in Auckland? I need something like 6.40 15” for my T. 

I got some sweet Destone 700-15” light truck tires for the rear, it’s very hard to find something that doesn’t look like shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2020 at 07:49, SOHC said:

Is there a place that sells vintage tires in Auckland? I need something like 6.40 15” for my T. 

I got some sweet Destone 700-15” light truck tires for the rear, it’s very hard to find something that doesn’t look like shit.

http://classic-tyres.co.nz/wp/ 

 

this would be your man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping on topic of tyres, I'm looking at these for my family wagon as my wife has a habit of parking by feel. https://www.trademe.co.nz/2834853803

Stud pattern and centre bore are identical, offset is slightly weaker, 45 vs 39. Stock is 18x7.5 vs these are 16x6. 

Load rating is quite different as they're obviously off a Hiace and a 'light commercial tyre' 

Tell me why I shouldn't do it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are they going on? Does it have decent sized brakes? Current tyre size for overall diameter?

I'd always go with tyres made for the vehicle type they are going on, but if price is the main driver then it will be hard to compete.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Willdat? said:

Keeping on topic of tyres, I'm looking at these for my family wagon as my wife has a habit of parking by feel. https://www.trademe.co.nz/2834853803

Stud pattern and centre bore are identical, offset is slightly weaker, 45 vs 39. Stock is 18x7.5 vs these are 16x6. 

Load rating is quite different as they're obviously off a Hiace and a 'light commercial tyre' 

Tell me why I shouldn't do it... 

They will have more layers of fabric and a taller side wall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran light truck steel belted radials on an ADO16 for some years. Was impressed with the wearing qualities thereof.

Disclaimer; may not be entirely relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bling said:

What are they going on? Does it have decent sized brakes? Current tyre size for overall diameter?

I'd always go with tyres made for the vehicle type they are going on, but if price is the main driver then it will be hard to compete.

Going on a 2GR-FE powered Toyota Mark X Zio, having said that it doesn't get driven like a race car as handling is towards comfort. Price isn't really the purpose, a meaty side wall that my wife can crash into curbs with glee is the idea...The brakes should be easily cleared with 16s as the 2AZ model has the same brakes AFAIK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough rubbed curbs will wear off the writing on the sidewall on even the beefiest tyres - rendering them illegal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Enough rubbed curbs will wear off the writing on the sidewall on even the beefiest tyres - rendering them illegal

Good observation, she doesn't technically aim for the gutter, it just feels like it when you run the spokes of alloys across the kerb once every couple of months. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cletus said:

images.jpeg-17.jpg

I'd be happy to give it a shot if they actually work, was thinking of giving one of these a try too. Being 5ft 2 in a modern soap block car. 

image.png.26aa70f83df5d5c1fe97c3521beef187.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top feelers would work best when wired to the drivers seat with some electrons flowing on contact.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where would I find some reinforced rubber sheet to make a diaphragm like this?

63196D1D-17C2-49E1-9B44-12B10E511190.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2020 at 19:55, JustHarry said:

Or else basis probably have something. But in blenheim though

 

I might try them, if shuck dosnt have it, para only has single ply, I think it’s possible to get proper diaphragm sheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.