Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

29 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

Sooo, 5yo Acer Laptop stopped charging this week. Picked up a new charger off TM. No difference, still has charge so I can run diagnostics if hive mind has a strategy? Nothing needs to be recovered so not the end of the world if I need to replace it, but still has 4-5 hours of battery life/does everything it needs to if there's a repair strategy?

Have you seen this page? Acer Laptop Plugged In But Not Charging? Try These 9 Fixes (technewstoday.com)

• Thanks 1

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

It's an excuse to use my tiny bit set which will be fun.

Opened 'er up. Retensioned the clip on the power jack, no joy. Nothing obviously loose/smoke escaped which is frustrating, really want one of those PB Tech staff deals....

N15 Sentra

Left front electric window will go down but won't go up from either master switch or the left front switch.

-Confirmed button down vs button up there is +12v or -12v at the plug for the motor (Two pin plug looks to just reverse polarity)
-Grabbed a second hand motor and plugged it in - still no good
-Jumped the second hand one off a battery and confirmed the motor does actually move both ways.

What on earth have I missed? Something common on Nissans that is causing this?

3 minutes ago, CorollaGT said:

N15 Sentra

Left front electric window will go down but won't go up from either master switch or the left front switch.

-Confirmed button down vs button up there is +12v or -12v at the plug for the motor (Two pin plug looks to just reverse polarity)
-Grabbed a second hand motor and plugged it in - still no good
-Jumped the second hand one off a battery and confirmed the motor does actually move both ways.

What on earth have I missed? Something common on Nissans that is causing this?

The switches get ahit/corrosion in them. Pull apart and clean and all G for thr next 10 years. 

Let's power through enough to go down, but too much resistance for the extra work of going up 

Also I have this for you

image.png.af147a753c1f2295b92ab21a70010658.png

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

I think @kws talked about this type of problem on his last Rover thread, had to dismantle, clean and lubricate various switches to get them to behave.

Pretty common with old switches. I used a fibreglass brush to clean the contacts, and then smothered them in dielectric grease. You could test this by unplugging the switch and shorting the wires in the connector (simulating pressing the switch and see if it operates). Check which is your switched positive with a test light first.

• Like 2

FUXED.

I have done some fucking evil shit in the registry (TIL there's settings in the registry that Regedit won't let you alter. *cough* will try not to let you alter).

Tune in tomorrow to see if BT audio still works, and tune in next week to see if the entire system has collapsed.

• Like 3