Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

Soften the steel. Heat it up and cool it slowly so it doesn't get hard again, then you should be able to drill it out.

I've found rusty looking, magnetic steel that no matter how much it was annealed it would not even be scratched by anything, not even cobalt drill bits (which would go through stainless like butter).  Doubt they'd be that stuff. but IDK what it was.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2017 at 18:19, xsspeed said:

do i bother with anything other than 15w40 castrol gtx modern engine for my 1988 twenny debt?

What is the factory required specs? I used to put that in my 20v / 16v as they both used oil. I run synthetic in things now as they don't drink it. I guess it would come down to engine condition too. I run 5w30 fully synthetic in dailies here, but neither are '88ish. Grabbed a 20L drum on spesh as I got sick of storing more than one oil. Totally turning into a Ling post... but my main point was that I used that oil because it was cheap and the engines were pretty worn. So it comes down to factory specs / engine condition IMO. I spent a while sifting through the oil threads on here, Speeno seems to know his stuff on oil.

On 21 November 2017 at 17:45, kws said:

I was going to try that but found one random silver drill bit in my cabinet, which managed to cut 3/4 of the way through before snapping. Off to bunnings to buy some more

Guess the repco ones arent worth the rubbish bin.

Engineering supply shops blackwoods etc hss jobber drill bits, cheap and good can buy singular in all sizes

https://www.nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/evacut-drill-jobber-blackjet-hss6-00mm-each--04125244

• Thanks 1

I ended up grabbing a set of Evacut HSS bits from Bunnings and they worked a treat. Clearly the Repco ones are chinesium, and softer than cheese.

I even managed to actually pretzel one. Never done that before, usually they snap, not bend 90 degrees :shock:

1 minute ago, kws said:

I ended up grabbing a set of Evacut HSS bits from Bunnings and they worked a treat. Clearly the Repco ones are chinesium, and softer than cheese.

I even managed to actually pretzel one. Never done that before, usually they snap, not bend 90 degrees :shock:

I've yet to break any of my evacut bits. In saying that I'm not a hard bastard on them, keep them sharp and plenty of CDT when drilling anything hard but they've lasted well regardless.

8 hours ago, Firetruck said:

Never had this experience tbh, all dealings with them have been top notch.

hamilton blackwoods and bay engineers were great

wellington ones are absolutely useless

have started using mana bearings in welly a bit theyre  A+ parts over night etc

• Like 2

Just finished a big wiring mission, and MAF sensor just constantly outputs 1.6 volts.

I swap in Altezza MAF instead and it works. 

Decide that my other one is faulty. 

Think about it some more. 

Check with a multimeter.
Toyota decided to switch the order of the signal and 12v supply pins between the two.

Y U DO DIS

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...