The K20A / K24A thread

Roman

K's rule. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to this thread sometime in the near distant future.

Only thing I will mention for now is about an issue with the Hondata ecu for the K. They do not have the ability to phase the intake cam at idle which causes low vacuum on cars running decent cams on a plenum intake. Have had many people have huge tuning issues with it and end up out of pocket. Something to be considered if you are planning to play with one.

Also heads dont need porting unless you want over 300whp so spend your money elsewhere. Insane these things will smoke a NSX c30. Progress.

• Like 1

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a good thread!

Have been a long time lover of the vtec, having owned a few d15b (poor mans vtec) civics as courier cars. Put a stupid amount of k's on them (around 500,000) and treat them like the dirty sluts they are, redline all day and just basically being a abusive cunt to them... I did manage to kill the pair but the well out lasted the ae92 fxgt i was running before hand which firmly proved to me that no matter how much I loved the 4age they just couldnt handle a 3rd of the abuse that I dish out to the hondas.

Anyway, seems that all the research I'v done since reading this thread and getting all bared up for the dirty H is that the K is best when compared to the F20c. The thing that gets me is is it worth the fuck around to set up the K series to rwd when for what it seems is a less amount of money you can find a f20c  with box, loom and other shit? 

Yes, k will yield better results in a n/a form, but really, is 200bhp in n/a not enough for a motor that will act like a stock motor and give you 400,000km plus in a early model light weigh o.s whip? 

Thats just my thoughts anyway... If i had a big cheque  book I know what I'd do...

Il just leave this here to tickle ya taste buds..

http://www.boostclassifieds.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=2160571

on this topic with all honda motors that are in the 2 litre range so no 2.4litre .

over the ditch we find in club car racing that the hondas dont seem to make as much torque as the nissan ve series sr20 or the 3sge beams .

we did a dyno day a few years ago with my race beams, a std s2000 and a std altezza.

the s2000 made 136 to 140 kws 3 dyno runs, honda ran to redline same with the others .

the altezza went from 115 to 120 kws,

and mine made 185 to 190 kws .

but the torque from the altezza over the honda was impressive .the honda caught the 3sge up high as the 3sge was going off

mine doesnt pass the std motor until 5000 rpm then stays flat untill 8000 rpm where it starts to drop off .

have also dynoed a std beams with my quads and inlet and 2 stage injection with the trd pipes and came out with 156kws at 7600 rpm.

so to make power just to 156 quads and 2 stage and pipes it cost me 4500 plus out board injectors and ecu  

my race motor to get to that figure of 190 kws takes more work and money .close to 20 grand

• Like 1

Celica RA45 have you raced or had a dyno session comparison with the K20a? F20c is known to have poor torque and modification potential compared to the K. K20a is 86x86 so at least you have a level playing ground. 

Dadams, I reckon it just depends what you are after. If you want ~250hp n/a then definitely a F20c package is going to be the best option. If you want to get silly with some n/a mods then best go K. 

Adam from Speedscience built a sweet EG Civic with a turbo K20A a few years ago. 

Made like 300kw at 6psi with a 35/40 and hauled.

Had some super sweet fab work by Ronnie/RSL.

Sold it to a guy in Hamilton whos turning it into full on drag spec with fully built motor and some serious bits for it.

• Like 1

Some of The Honda Cup/SS2000 guys run FWD F20c as they feel it handles the high revs all day everyday better than the K

i.e.

DSC00517_zpsaffc306f.jpg

DSC00519_zps93d2c214.jpg

There are 2-3 Hondas in ss2000 that run rebuilt and cammed k20a engines in well setup chassis. The te ritos run standard wrecker f20c in similarly well set up chassis (the ae82 isn't anything special chassis wise just well sorted) and make 170+ kw atw which kick the arses of the k20s. Ant has won the open class twice so far..

They are far superior/the te ritos are awesome at drinking which makes them better at cars

• Like 3