JR's Cycle Car build

JR

Cheers

Yeah it came with the whole loom wich is kind of half the problem, lots and lots of wires that arnt required. I'm almost there, there are a shit load of sensors and wires that are required for such a wee engine. I just need to tidy it up now really. I had another play around with the pump and it seems it's not self priming without the initial gravity feed... I'll have a think about it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like the best option. but do they shut the pumps of at all during engine running? the power supplied by the relay could stop this happening if so. 

my suggestion would be to add the relay, but have it switched on by a momentary switch/button. so you can press it for a couple seconds before hitting the ignition and have the ECU take over fuel pump control again. 

If the pump inlet is below the fuel level then there will be sufficient head to allow it to prime, I would suggest that your issue is somewhere else. Is it negative switched from the ECU and you have the relay wired up all wrong?

Also the fuel pump will run while the engine is, but will stop if it does.

If the pump inlet is below the fuel level then there will be sufficient head to allow it to prime, I would suggest that your issue is somewhere else. Is it negative switched from the ECU and you have the relay wired up all wrong?

Also the fuel pump will run while the engine is, but will stop if it does.

I was trying it with a temporary set up regarding the fuel. And by temporary I mean really shit. I just had the fuel pump trying to suck fuel out of a bottle. The bottle was below the pump and it wouldn't suck the fuel through, the pump runs fine but I think it needs that gravity feed to get going. I haven't sorced a fuel tank yet so I don't know how low it will sit in the tail, but I suspect the lowest point of the tank will be lower than the pump...

I'll add a picture in a couple of days, I'm away from home at the moment.

Skinner, now everyone knows even my baby can grow more facial hair than me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mate what can I say? You might be complaining about your welding skills but I am totally blown away with your woodworking ability, you are indeed a craftsman.

The question has to be asked,  when are you building a full sized version? :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For the last while I have been trying to sort out the clutch and throttle. I want it to be really simple for the wee fella to drive while he is little, just a go pedal and a stop pedal in one gear only. Then when he is older he can have all five gears and a clutch to play with.... In hind sight I should have gone with a smaller simpler engine.

So I have been playing around making a throttle pedal that controls the clutch and the throttle.. I am up to the 4th version, the first three used springs and levers but I just couldnt get it to work with out my son needing Arnold Schwarzeneggers legs.

Here it is, I bought a chinese hydraulic clutch set up and made this abomination. 

image_zpsym6wieml.jpg

image_zpsxl2h8ilq.jpg

I need to tidy it up and strengthen it. It probably belongs in the design disasters and fabrication foibles thread, but eh, it seems to work.

• Like 9