JR's Cycle Car build

JR

I did see one outfit that made them, they were super pricey ($1700 from memory) and only made them for a few bike engines. The poor wee commuter 125 didn't make the cut. Maybe there is cheaper ones out there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers man, its heaps more fun to work on at this stage.... so much more progress seen for the amount of work done.

Does anyone know a good place to buy resin and cloth for the fiber glassing? I was thinking of going to one of the local boat builders and asking them? Also ill need some sort of foam to make the plug for the tail. Any ideas?

cheers

I'm planning on using 3mm plywood sheets bent around the stringers for the skin and then glass over it. I want it to have a realy nice finish. The back tail cone will be fiber glass with a some ribs on the inside for added strength.

That would be epic but I don't rate my fab skills enough, I can see myself making a mess of steel. Wood is a lot more forgiving and I have more experience working with it. Steel would be cool, I'm too scared of making big ripples/a pile of scrap.

ive never worked with steel and im just gonna wing it haha. from what ive seen, cycle cars dont need to be 100% smooth to look good, they can be glossy as hell and show the slight warpage in the steel but still look good, and that warpage kinda adds to it. 

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow the last wee while I have been very busy, some motherf!@#$% tried to extort $14k out of me. I got it sorted now (WOOOOHOO) through the courts but it took soooo much time.

So I am about to get stuck in to the body. I plan to make the skin out of thin wood bent to shape. I had a scrap test piece of 3mm ply wood that I soaked for 2 days then bent it over the body frame. It seemed like it was going to follow the contours just.... maybe. Does anyone have experience bending wood? I was wondering what thin mdf is like to bend? Im guessing you cant wet it to help out but it is cheap.

Does anyone have ideas? I will be glassing over the top of it.

You can by a specific plywood for bending. It's quite thin and would work great for what your doing . We used to use it when building teardrop caravans and then clad it with 0.9mm alloy sheet. We got it from ITM here in chch . Can't remember if there is a ITM in Blenheim been too long

• Like 1

Personally I'd be using thicker ply and cutting lots of slots on the inside of each bend. That way you will get flat areas and curves exactly where its wanted plus the ply will be much less resistant to warpage from the glass.

The curves will be made out of lots of flat lines but 5 minutes with a sanding block will fix that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I decided to use 3mm MDF for the skin. I glued and screwed it down, the plan at this stage is to use fibreglass/shit loads of bog for the tight bends on the sides of the bonnet. I think ill use scored cardboard for the basic shape. I'll have a thin layer of glass over the MDF too.

image_zps018f874c.jpg

image_zps751bb7b4.jpg

image_zps605f021c.jpg

image_zps2fef5e8b.jpg

image_zpsf085ea0a.jpg

image_zps43340b01.jpg

image_zps3e89ec22.jpg

Just messing around with the shape of the dash with that bit of cardboard.

image_zps0fd78c83.jpg

Next purchas will be some cloth and resin. The cone shape part at the back will be interesting to make....

• Like 5

Yeah I hear ya, when I said dash it was probably/definitely the wrong word. Ill have it as close as I can make it to the inspiration car on the first page of the thread, except it will have an AC Cobra type chrome head rest/roll bar hoo dacky im thinking. Thats about as far as safety considerations went, I'll raise the boy like they did in the 70s, kids were bulit proof back then ;)

Edit- but seriously- Do you think its worth designing a crumple zone? I could still do it I guess.