JR's Cycle Car build

JR

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is similar to the first Red Bull Trolley Derby car I made in the sense that I made the underlying body from plywood, about 4mm, then glued on thin sheets of expanded polyurethane foam at about 25mm so I could then sand out the kind of shapes we'd get rolling on an english wheel... compound curves? Then after I had the shapes I took it all to a fibreglass places for coupla coats. Since then I've played with polystyrene and didn't realise that polyester resins melted it so then used bog over polystyrene which if mixed slightly cold for a slower cure didn't create enough heat to melt the polystyrene.

Then came seeing if the expanded polyurethane foam we buy in spray cans would adhere to polystyrene... and it did. What I haven't properly tried is sculpting in polystyrene then applying a thin coat of epoxy resin and then matting out using a polyester resin.

So what I've learned is that the two cheapies, polystyrene and polyester resin don't work together and have yet to try a barrier coat of epoxy between them but distinctly dislike sculpting polystyrene whilst on the other hand love the nature of polyurethane foam in blocks and sheets but it is really expensive and decidedly brittle though the spray type cans in a big enough size are just affordable once you get the way of using them sussed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Dear JR,

Triggered by an article in Octane about cycle karts I browsed the internet and found the story of your build. As my current project, the restoration of a '65 Bobsy Vanguard Formula Vee, imported by me from the US wich is almost ready I'm  looking for a new project. Fell in love with your little car with it's off side engine as per origialAustin, and wonder if you will share information. Chassis dimensions and a drawing would be most welcome as info on the flat springs used up front en the sprocket sizes used on the engine, clutch and the rer axle. All of this only if you think  it's OK to duplicate by me. If you reply you can also use my direct Email address, lucvandobben@hetnet.nl

Look very much forward to your reply,

Best regards,

Lucas van Dobben

the Netherlands

• Like 3

Hi Lucas

I have just sent you an email, I am more than happy to share any info you want.

There are some other projects on here than may give you some ideas too:

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44164-flibois-cyclecar/

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/43827-cycle-car-built-from-old-junk/

I hope you start a build thread when you start building.

John

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I hadn't touched this thing for months. Moved house/city/job... I finally got stuck into it last night.

Here is the start of the boat tail

image_zpsoybooliv.jpg

image_zpsffz27z7d.jpg

image_zpsythcpxuo.jpg

Im going to make a few more ribs and then put something that is shapable in there and fiberglass over the lot. It will be hollow, I have perferated the ribs so when its stronger I can cut the inside parts out.

I was going to use cut up polyurethane foam sheets and shape them but I had an idea of using expanding foam. Has anyone used that stuff before? Is it workable? Will I be able to sand it?

• Like 9

This back part has been a bit of a mision. I don't have an artistic bone in my body so designing these curves has been tough. 

I made them out of cardboad first.

image_zpsfbaiyt6t.jpg

image_zpscurkdryb.jpg

image_zpsa7my0913.jpg

I am leaning towards using the expandable foam stuff and shaping it with a knife then fiberglassing over? Does any one have a reason to think this wont work, or have a better idea?

Cheers

• Like 1

expanding foam is a dick IMHO. Especially if it doesnt set quite right and then its terribly sticky once you cut it open and you just want to kill people 30 seconds in!

polystyrene cuts ok with hot wire cutter, and sands well with some rough sand paper. Just buy some 30mm thick sheets from mitre10 and cut to rough size and glue in place. Just be aware if you use something like liquid nails, that the nichrome wire wont like cutting through it all that well. It will do it, but not the best

i vote for fabric and dope for the tail cone. with your chosen career you should be able to appreciate the vintage authenticity of thin wooden frames and doped canvas coverings! 

its how ill be doing mine if i bail on the sheet metal and solid rivet plans 

• Like 3

That would be cool but I really want it to look like this

image_zps3379b604.jpg

image_zps5413265e.jpg

I am leaning towards strip planking now, then glass over the top. I should be able to get it look pretty slick strip planking I reckon.

• Like 4

I have gone down the strip planking road. Cheers Skinner (Mutiny) for supplying, cutting and putting through the thicknesser some nice Rimu for me! He wouldnt even accept beers as payment.. G.C.

So here is where I am at...

The back part it removable and fits nice and tight

image_zpsyrlstlny.jpg

image_zps96qlgvcn.jpg

Its going to be a slow process as I have to wait for the glue to dry between strips.. If I do a good enough job ill just put a clear layer of fiberglass over it and leave the wood showing. Plan B = bog, glass and paint.

image_zpssiitqhr5.jpg

• Like 6