Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fryburger says it in his opening line, they are putting 620 odd horse power through the muffler. even in a twin system that would still be 300 per bank and way over what most expect, IM only going to have 220-240hp and many more of us are wishing to even see over 200. its very different looking at a big power 8 and a 4age, or a 1600 crossflow or in my case a 6cyl bmw 

• Like 1

fryburger says it in his opening line, they are putting 620 odd horse power through the muffler. even in a twin system that would still be 300 per bank and way over what most expect, IM only going to have 220-240hp and many more of us are wishing to even see over 200. its very different looking at a big power 8 and a 4age, or a 1600 crossflow or in my case a 6cyl bmw

It's not actually that much different, have a look through kprs thread, he's done quite a bit of exhaust system fluffing about.

It depends how you get  to said hp number. 

Pity they didn't do the runs on something with a more aggressive cam/s.    But still, you can see how the open header comes on power sooner, in the 3500-4000rpm range.    

Everything i have tired on 4age junk  is basically the same. No big gains up top,  but big losses as it comes on power in lower mid range with exhaust restriction.   more cam overlap the worse it gets.

So now you can throw away your little restrictive exhaust.  put that 3" on and go to the next size up cams.  have the same powerband and more top end.   

its totally different on  something that doesn't run much/any cam overlap. (most stock engines & turbo stuff)  exhaust can be smaller.   with exhaust restriction losses will more likely be at max hp,  when the most flow is required.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I need to make an exhaust for my audi. It originally had a 20v turbo 5cyl and now has a 4.2 40v v8. The original exhaust is a twin pipe 2.25 inch. Im wanting to make it 2.5 inch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a twin inlet and outlet mufflers?

I need to make an exhaust for my audi. It originally had a 20v turbo 5cyl and now has a 4.2 40v v8. The original exhaust is a twin pipe 2.25 inch. Im wanting to make it 2.5 inch. Does anyone have any recommendations for a twin inlet and outlet mufflers?

40 valves! imagine replacing the stem seals and setting clearance in that...

depending on your budget and packaging requirements you could consider some second hand Fg xr6 turbo falcon ute mufflers these are twin in and out, and flow well on a boosted 4 litre. often these are removed for "performance" upgrades but these are fine at over 350 wheel KW, my ute runs 22+psi on the fatory rear half of the sytem (does have a bigger dump pipe and cat)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aberfoyle-park/engine-engine-parts-transmission/ford-falcon-fg-ute-turbo-2008-on/1084126623

not in NZ I know but gives you an idea of what they look like. 

• Like 2