Removing a glued in windscreen

Snoozin

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is coming out of a donor car... so it's not ultra crucial if I wreck paint or whatever.

I haven't really got time to get someone to do it, needs to be after hours unfortunately.

Will report back/cut myself to bits on it.

Yea what Bart said. I cut the whole screen out of my parts car with a sabre saw. It has the benefit of having something around it to support it while being stored.

I've tried to remove screens before with about a 50 percent success rate. Even the pros smash them occasionally. It's not worth it.

FYI the pros use a wire thing with a suction cup that goes on the inside and a cranking handle. One end of the wire goes through and then they just wind the handle. Still takes them a good 20mins

Last 4 I did was just with a wire and a lot of patience. Wasn't hard, just time consuming. I'd say it would be at least as hard with the whole frame cut out of the car. At least with it in the car, you don't have to worry about the screen moving while working on it. Of course it's not going to work 100% of the time. But I believe if you take your time, it's much much more likely to work successfully than not.

3mojqo33.cfg.gif

• Like 1

Kinda on topic, can anyone recommend a good glue/sealant to put a front windscreen back in? 

Windscreen adhesive is way better than sealant if you do not want to remove it any time soon.  Sealant is basically just a sealer but adhesive is hard to get.  The other time i bought any the people that sold it were fags about it so i don't talk to them anymore and go to smith&smith glass dealer instead but they only want to sell giant logs of the stuff lol.

Umm...  double sided foam (the good stuff not $2 shop crap) plus sealant around the edges sounds good to me.

Kinda on topic, can anyone recommend a good glue/sealant to put a front windscreen back in?

Use Wurth Windscreen sealant MS1. My windscreen guy swears by it and I swear by all Wurth products and tools that I have.

• Like 1

the last 260c screen I took out just used a heat gun to heat up the sealant - its not as good as the new screen sealants are and just hold a small amount of pressure against it - feet etc like you would when removing a rubbered one.

only took me and another person about 15 minutes to remove both screens

• Like 1

String so clocks rubber seals, on both install and removal. Feed a 5mm or so string into the same place those metal plates are sitting. Then just push it out. For install, push the string into the same part of the seal while its out of the car. Sit seal in place and push it in nice and snug. Then just pull the string out. It will, with a bit of help, refit itself around the frame.

Crack a beer or two and marvel at how amazingly simple the job was.

• Like 2