Joe's 1976 CB400f

Goat

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keen for race spec. Or flat race spec seat.

Will probably just put in the least amount of effort and seal the 350 tank and run the tail piece i made before.

Motivation is high now.

Also, this thing sounds so sweet with its current 'zorst setup.

And Sam, i have my eyes on one of those mini tail lights. Like AlfaAlfa has on his avenger. Cheap and easy (like your mum)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Todo list:
  • Build and fit Number plate bracket
  • Fit Number plate light
  • Aquire brake light
  • Remake a seat to suit current tank.
  • Build and mount battery box.
  • Wof
  • Enjoy

Oh My god. Whats this? It looks like i have actually done something...

Pics soon.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So yeah,

some good news and some bad news.

Good news. Bike is finished and ready for a wof check. (I expect it to fail on some minor shit, probably no rear reflector and chain guard etc. But these can easily be resolved)
Some pics of the finished product:

Bum shot:
mzgsuzxw.yz4.jpg

Number plate mount:
5wtzfzya.yfn.jpg

Number plate light:
5cvjv1b5.alt.jpg

Overview:
xbdokem2.zq2.jpg
uvtlz12w.rev.jpg

Cut down standard guard. Sectioned standard mounting bracket to bring it closer to the tyre:
td5ys4kx.bco.jpg

Pretty headers:
jhdv153f.pkx.jpg

Minimalist tail light. Notw filled in hole where i was going to mount a different light then didn't like the look of it. Though i'd leave it rough at this stage. Battery is also tucked up under this tail section. Running a Motobatt M3BU which is a tiny 12v. Can have it on its side ftw.
kqa3vseq.o3c.jpg

Idiot lights and mashed together clocks:
i2axtl1c.clq.jpg

Nice grips and rear view mirror:
1jjl40a3.nm2.jpg

Front shot:
551riixo.qaa.jpg

Nice cast and polished aluminium indicators. Kinda lime mini OEM ones:
0sh14pyk.k2i.jpg

A 38 year old 4 cylinder engine that has a 10k redline. I like this:
c1zemaa3.4em.jpg

A good shot of the seat. Had this done by an guy in masterton. Was 120 bux. Stoked with it. I just have him a sheet metal pan and he put the seat on it. It is valcroed to my tail section
m4fzylbp.mdo.jpg

The rectifier is left in the factory mounting position. All other electrics are mashed under the seat in that little black box that i made:
ombrunlw.qhi.jpg

Dem stacks:
yb2ctefj.54x.jpg

This brand new generic exhaust. Scuffed it up with scotch brite and left in garage for a year. Looks as old as the rest of the bike:
vctmd1l4.0qm.jpg

Now the bad news. Despite it all coming together and firing up after almost a year of dormancy. After a couple of minutes of running one of the carbs became really loud. I mean REALLY loud. On closer inspection i think it may be the inlet valve sticking as there is air pulsing out the trumpet.

I pulled off the valve adjuster cover and the rocker isn't tight against the valve when its closed or anything. So it's definitely not being held open.

What worries me is there isn't excessive amounts of play either, so its not like the valve is sticking.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Could the valve be bent? or burned?

I'm not looking forward to have to pull the head off, as at my rate of work it will be another year and a half before this is on the road again...

• Like 6

Chair guiz.

Ben - I did crank it over by hand. Nothing seems amiss looking into the rockers. I do suspect some form of mechanical failure, as it did happen suddenly after a minuite or two of running and has been that way since.

However, it still seems to be running fine on that cyl. The header gets nice and hot. And there are no flames coming out of the carb. There is petrol mist etc. THis confuses me, because if it was the compression stroke coming back out the carbs then it should be popping and flaming?

Its kinda like the valve doesn't close fast enough. It still has compression etc. But when running some of the compression (but not the explosion) is escaping out the intake.

Im kinda hopina an italian tune may fix it...

Otherwise i will probably take the head off and do a valve grind. I actually have a couple of complete spare heads that i can "pre rebuild" so i can just swap it over.

• Like 2