Joe's 1976 CB400f

Goat

Have you checked the ignition timing?

If the slides are stuck, or not very free then it will be like the choke is on when you open the throttles, have you checked the diaphragms for splits?

Good work on getiing it back together btw!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I put the haggard carbs on it runs like a dream. Except super super rich.

So it's definitely to do with the carbs.

These are non diaphragm carbs. And they're as clean as a whistle and operate super smooth.

Will have another play tomorrow.

The bike didn't run on these carbs before I rebuilt them either so maybe a carb body is chooched? I didn't notice anything weird when I had em apart though...

I'll move the needle up tomorrow and see if it improves things.

The carbs have not been balanced either... Could that make it feel dead?

The crabs are exactly the same factory fitment. They are these: Good old slide carbs. No vacuume stz. jeah!

honda-cb400f-super-sport-400-four-k0-197

Except, the POS ones have a 98 jet size and unknown needle. The rebuilt ones have the factory 75 jet and factory needle.

The pos ones chooch like a diesel it runs so rich. But it does run super sweet (when its not fouling plugs) hah.

Pop jets in POS carbs and see how it goes?

I have so many options and so little knowledge. haha

When you talk about balancing on motor cycle carbs, what are you doing to adjuzt them? I have in fact never looked at a motor cycle carb set up. Even tho I now own some lol.

I assume we are still just talking about adjusting the amount of air going through the carb at idle

When you talk about balancing on motor cycle carbs, what are you doing to adjuzt them? I have in fact never looked at a motor cycle carb set up. Even tho I now own some lol.

I assume we are still just talking about adjusting the amount of air going through the carb at idle

My carbs are lush, there is no adjustment on the rate at which slides open. You can adjust the individual slide height though. And this is what i need to balance. All the carbs need to have the same air flowing through them at the same throttle position.

You plug vacuume gagues in the head (there are special ports for it) and make sure that the vacuume on the engine side of the carb is the same across all 4 across the rev range. You just adjust the slide height to correct this.

Had a play last night, swapped all the jets into the haggard carb bodies and put them on. Seemed a bit smoother but still hesitant.

It must just be too lean. I have a free flow exhaust and no filters. So would definately expect to have to richen it up from factory 75 jet. But i still wouldnt have expected it to be as dead as it is now.

Its started doing that thing with the carb again. Where its blowing back through the carb. On the same cylinder - The whole reason i pulled it down in the first place. Its definately nothing to do with the head now. As that is tip top, with lapped in valves etc. I am out of ideas. Am just going to roll with it. As all it seems to do is mist and sound like a DCOE.

Also, i can't get the oil filter housing to seal lushly. It keeps chooching oil all around the seal. GRR. And i hate having to super tighten steel bolts into aluminium housings. Am always waiting for that point where it suddenly gets alot easier to do up... :(

I am running trumpets with mesh.

Have had a look around and there are no kehein jets available between 75 and 98.

98 is what is in the POS carbs and that is diesel spec chooching.

May have to drill and try for 80 or 85.

• 1 month later...

My new jets (#80) turned up from the states.

Banged them in this arvo.

Bam. Runs lush as. Jeah. Still has that noisy carb issue. But meh.

Gotta reset float levels as fuel was pissing out of overflows on the sidestand.

Give it a once over and make sure all nuts and bolts are tight.

Then try for a wof at the next available opportunity.

Exciting times.

Wonder what it will fail on. Will give me a list of things to fix anyway.

Will be riding the shit out of this over summer!

• Like 8