DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do slides seal around the ports?

They don't and as far as I am aware it isn't a problem.

And look how hideous those bike throttles are. But the reality is that I just want some slide throttles and have done for some time now, so for ~$150-200 I will make some, it will probably be more work but to be honest I don't really care because they look sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumped this thread for two reasons:

Cheers Nigel. But my shaft is a perfect length.

Quite frankly I'm just amazed that no one stopped to pull him up on this one.

Also,

I see the Version 3 MS + daughter board thingy can run all sorts of fancy stuff... knock control, VVTI, coilpacks, full sequential injectors, outboard injectors, etc.

What's the general consensus these days? Any better? Or still a bit of a bodge.

Apart from the greivously painful setup and troubleshooting, is there anyone with something good to say about these things?

My Dutch blood starts to stir when I look at the price of one hahaha.

I've downloaded the tuning software and I'm confident I could setup and tune one myself. It's just the assembly/wiring/oscilliscope work that gives me the shits.

Thankfully though my old man has a knack for these sorts of things and he's keen to put together an MS setup.

I'm happy enough keeping the standard ECU, but for whatever reason a few load/rpm areas it doesnt run as well as it could, idle isnt great, and I wouldnt mind an extra 500-1000rpm. Too cheap for a Link considering an aftermarket ECU gains me next to nothing power wise, and fixes a few niggles rather than anything major. Cant help but think it's probably more trouble than it's worth though.

• Like 2

I think the MS2 with a an extra board if you need the room is happy with all that stuff.  I certainly can only give Ipraise for my MS. I have done over 10000 fault free kms. Its been easy to tune for a newbie, was easy to build and only cost me about $600 all in inc buying tuner studio for its autotune feature.

I could easily if i like add extra features and learn more in the process as well. Really cool shit for me given I have never really been into electronics in anyway.

In fact its been so fun I am really looking forwards to megasquirting the triumph when time comes. :-)

More betterer info here...

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/34850-diy-fuel-injection-thread/?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Binjection

• Like 1

It took about a week or so of evenings, a few hours here or there, to assemble the unit. Wiring it into the car I think doesnt matter what ecu you use because you are either going to start fresh as I did and just make your own loom to suit (easy peesy) or hack into an existing loom. There are adaptors for many models of cars/engines from many ecu manufacturers including MS.

I cant stress enough how fun it was to build, install and tune. My biggest gripe with MS is that there is almost too much info out there. Hannah and I were never sure which build manual to follow- either the Extra EFI one or the megamanual. We ended up following the Extra EFI one as it was cleaner and better written. I dont reckon you would have any problems with any of this Roman.

found the same re info.   have spent hours sifting though various manuals to find a simple answer. which can be annoying.

biggest drama  you are likely to run into is the triggers and vvti.  I'd research and find someone who has done it before on a beams 3s.  before buying anything.  

Yeah good advice... The crank angle sensor stuff is easy, as it's just a missing tooth wheel.

But the cam angle sensor is a bit different, it has two teeth say 45 degrees apart from each other that sweep past the sensor per 360 degrees.

Not sure if it's gonna shit itself when it 'sees' two of them at odd intervals or not.

I'm not sure why it's got two anyway, I doubt it could measure anything useful in the time interval between one going past and the other.

EDIT:

Found this, looks simple enough actually. Just need to probably use a dial gauge on the cam to find out the position of the first and second teeth relative to (presumably?) max or min lift on cam for cyl #1.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/vvt.html

So two teeth isnt a problem, nothing complicated about VVTI that couldnt work as above. Just firing a solenoid at the end of the day!

Wonder if the coilpacks will work though, ever used the Toyota ones with MS, KPR?

coils should work no worries.

ms is picky with vr sensor setups.   the only ones ive seen work flawless on the denso cas (4age etc)  have another add on board to condition the signal before the ms sees it.   or use a aftermarket/custom trigger wheel setup.   this is pretty much why i said find someone whos had one running on a beams. because you don't have much choice but to use the factory trigger setup.

pretty much the main reason i dislike ms.  factory ecu and ever other aftermarket ecu can work on factory triggers. but ms needs extra hardware

once you have the triggers sorted.  rest shouldn't be too much drama

I reckon you should just go for it. Anything is possible with a little digging and tinkering. Very satisfying!

Edit : my ms worked sweet as with the factory mazda vr sensors. 36-1 trigger wheel. But im taking it that kpr is referring to cam angle sensors?