DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest yoeddynz

Bloody useful tip there Zac!!! I'll try that one out.

Today while pulling apart another spare loom I had I found the rest of the VR feed and discovered that it has the wires in the right colours. So I should be able to work it out now- but will still try your trick.

While using the ruler I will of course have to make the dounggggdddddddddddddrrr sound on edge of bench....

• 1 month later...

v4 doesn't have wideband input. think it has narrow band input for close loop correction at cruise. but i wouldn't bother connecting any form of o2 sensor to a v4. who ever is tuning it needs a wideband. but once its tuned. you dont need one.

factory water temp sensor is fine. select "ntc"

factory triggers will work fine , as long as the link has the correct sub board. and you have the correct dizzy/cas to match. tell me the numbers off the sticker on the end of the link and what 4age/cas/dizzy you have

tps. again doesn't do much on a v4. unless you are running in tps mode for itb's.

yeh sounds like a v5. if its a v5 it should have an extra 4 pin plug on the opposite end to the main loom plug. but best way to know for sure is to power it up and connect laptop. v5 has bigger fuel map and few other extras. should be setup for 24 tooth and sync. so 4agze cas or smallport dizzy will work. run wasted spark

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for it. But I've been trying to tweak the cold start settings on my Link G1 V5 and seem to be getting nowhere fast (doesn't help that I gotta leave the car sitting for hours in between each failed attempt).

Now I know every car will be different, but I'm just after a general guideline rather than "this number will work". Also, I have no interest in throwing it away and buying a G4, I already did that with my Skyline.

At the moment whenever you attempt to start the car bone cold, it will fire, catch, idle for about half a second but die straightaway. The second time you start it, 50% of the time will do the same thing, and only after the third attempt will it actually start and run (idles at around 1750rpm).

Some people with V5s have said that their cars will run and idle like a bag of shit for the first 15-20 seconds, however mine doesn't do that at all, it runs nice and smooth but obviously only after you attempt to start it two or three times.

When I fired up PCLink and loaded the original stored values, Warm-Up was set to 55 and Cold Crank was at 15. I have adjusted Cold Crank in increments of 5 from 15 to 25 but this hasn't seemed to have made any difference. Warm-Up stayed at 55 but yesterday I put Cold Crank back to 15 and changed Warm-Up to 65. Again, this made no difference. 

Should I just be entering values with a larger (>20) differential? Is there any sort of guideline as to the values, i.e. a high Cold Crank might make the car run like a bag of shit, but it will catch straightaway, or do I just have to keep whacking in numbers until I find that magical ratio where it just works?

Cheers in advance...

yeh get more aggressive with the changes. try wind up the cold crank heaps more,  try  40-50

edit:  it may also  be the numbers in the fuel map at cranking speed. if the above doesn't work

Hmm, cool. From the Link tuning manual:

Warm-Up
Almost without exception, engines require enrichment (richer mixture) during their warm-up period after being started from cold. The Warm-Up function controls this enrichment. The LEM monitors engine temperature and gradually reduces the amount of enrichment as the engine warms up. When the engine coolant temperature is above 70 ̊C no enrichment is provided. A larger number provides more enrichment.

Cold Crank

The Cold Crank function adjusts the amount of enrichment while the engine is cranked when cold and for a short period of time after starting. The actual amount of enrichment provided during cold starting depends on the Cold Crank value as well as the engine coolant temperature. When the engine temperature is above 40 ̊C no Cold Crank enrichment is provided. A larger number provides more enrichment.

Doesn't say what the values actually refer to other than "bigger = more".

Gonna head out to the shed again after dinner to give it another crack.

i would say if you can crank it and it will catch then idle for a bit then die, the cold crank is fine, it is probably dieing when it tries to go from cold crank to warm up values so up the warm up values till it will catch and just keep running.

sounds like hes talking a much shorter time than that. cold crank will decay after its started. so guessing bigger number will likely hold for longer.    i would try not to adjust the cold start much if the car runs and drives good when cold, once it is running.  as you are adjusting the fuel right up to operating temp

• 2 months later...