Mega Shed of Ed.

0R10N

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Por makes some floor paint that is apparently some hardcore shit. Doesn't require acid wash etc and all that shit

It probably costs half a million though.

yeah costs $500US

and also this

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.

nice.

thats how you know it works.

in between needing to be out of the lockup by Easter, and having to save money to even buy the materials for floorpainting, I don't think it is realistically possible anymore.

Unless I somehow plan it in stages later on, but that still means moving all the stuff out... and to where exactly?

had the garage been completed by early Feb as planned, I would have had this entire month (+ longer) to sort it.

Paint the 'working' area and carpet the rest?

will depend on how much shelving and other crap gets in the way.

have been searching for large lino offcuts for the back half of the shed, but no luck thus far.

The floor is extremely dusty, planning to get in there with a broom, hose and some degreaser this weekend.

Just roll natural concrete - no lino, no paint, and especially no dam carpet (stupidest idea EVER for a workshop - wet cars drive in and will soak the carpet through till it rots. Its a complete shitcunt to find lost small parts on too)

If you want something to stand on while working then get some rubber mats for around the benches only - Richy should be able to hook you up with that stuff through his safety supply.

Plain concrete worked fine for my grandad - should work fine for you.

+1 for no carpet, it soaks up oil and makes a lovely fire starter.

Also from experience, moving a car with a tight LSD on loose carpet is not fun. Paint is nice, but if time and money are an issue, then just keep drip trays and degreaser on hand

Look up Sika products too. Dunno about pricing, but they do a metric fuck ton of stuff that could be sweet.

I'd definitely paint it, seems silly to make such a big investment and then not bother, even if it's just an aesthetics thing generally. A properly painted floor will be way easier to keep clean around where you work too.

I never wanted to put carpet in, only lino.

or just don't give a shit? has been working for me so far

Yes, well, it was only an idea that got tossed around during the early stages. I can take it or leave it.

TBH if I had the chance to paint my garage before filling it with too much crap, I would.

Once the concrete has turned a dark grey / black colour it's all good, but prior to that every drop of oil that soaks into the fresh concrete kinda annoys you.

Also, resale value. Clean floor = good.

In saying that you probably aren't quite as careless when it comes to spilling oil / ATF / not tightening the oil filter properly etc

• 2 weeks later...

Id be living in there- a area in the rafters to sleep. Big sofa, wood stove, espresso machine. Make a shower/toilet area in the corner (not shitting in the corner like a ferret would have but a proper room) and then work on cars/other till I fall asleep. Rent house out to pay off mortgage.

Very jealous. Always jealous of people big garages. I so want.

Someones already mentioned it, but i'd paint the area you plan to work on cars. Less cost, easy to do whenever as you just move shit elsewhere while doing it. Cleaning up oil, grease, errything off a painted floor is a case of rag and degreaser and it comes up like new.

Have recently seen carpet in garages of retirement homes that is like 2mm thick. Probably marine carpet. Would so rock that in areas car's won't leak fluids. Lino? Back in the 90s that would have been grand :P I'd rock plain concrete over lino.

The old couple who live across the road from my parents had a extra high extra long garage as part of their house for the CamperVan and they have marine carpet in there, also park their daily Daihatsu thingy in there if its been in the rain or not.

My garage floor is painted, or it was in the 60's but its peeling off so I will repaint it at some stage, its really worth it