Toot Toot Timmy's EN-ZED-GEE-TEE

feathersword

Nice car that, have always had a soft spot for them. When I was at high school a mate had one, was all black and white, with black leather interior from memory. It had a few things done to the engine and he always ran it on ave gas, sounded/smelt (due to ave gas) /and went really well.

With the polishing of the lights, afTer the plastic polish, is there some sort of sealer you can use? The lights on my wifes car come up beautifully, but then go yellow (clear head lights) again very quickly, as the car lives out side, I need some sort of UV protectant or something?

Good luck with the clean up/resto on yours!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet ride there mate. I love these things tho am more of a fan of the 4 door sedan shape.

We have a GT spec one in the garage in classic "prairie gold"...... magic :)

There are not many unmolested ones left and if you had made it further south to Dunedin then you would have found a million of them. They are everywhere down there!

Such an epic wee car especially since built in NZ. Not many of us can say our car was NZ made.

Our one has just ticked over 235,000km though the 4age went in at 140,000.

Alas, its not a true GT but has had the full conversion to disc brakes, engine etc and later model 15" GT wheels.

:mrgreen: just a wee bit. would be more if we didn't have our own one :D

Love the nz new gt's would like to get my hands on a liftback one if anyone no's of someone wanting to part with one in the (southisland).There is a guy i hassled round the corner from me who's got a nz new liftback with 80000kms and its mint but doesnt want to part with it unfortunatly.Never leaves the garage.Also think its sweet that NZ was the only ones to produce the gt liftback which makes it even more special.Nice to the this has gone to a good home.Are your plans just to tidy up ?

SWEET!

My first quick-ish car was one of these. NZ new GT AE82. Same interior tho mine was white.

Sunroof leak absolutely killed the leather/vinyl seats. Blew my first gearbox in that.

240kph on the clock. Never got there though

Yours makes me want one.

Love the NZ new GT's.Looks like your doing a nice job of tidying it up.Good to see its gone to a caring new owner.Id love a liftback if anyone no's someone who wants to part with one :). There is a guy around the rd from me who has a mint nz liftback with 80000kms never leaves the garage ill have to keep hassiling him to part with it.From here on in id say these are only going to get more and more collectable and to be honest id have a nz new one over an import fxgt anyday theres just something about the NZ ones.

I had one as a fist car. Car cost me $5,800 and about $10,000 in fines about 15 years ago, they were considered a quick car back then, it was a lot of fun and got me in a lot of trouble. Sounds a bit gay but at that age a first car was my best mate! Have a real soft spot for them.

For some reason the 5-Door does nothing for me, I have had 6 AE82's over the years, one a 5-Door and it was just never as good to drive as the three door.

My 5 door GT had a different gearbox. At an indicated 100kph it was only doing 2700rpm.

Since your car is NZ new I thought it would be the same. Ah, maybe a facelift/non facelift thing?

After my car started jumping out of 5th gear (groan) we sourced another box and it had the lower ratio like yours does.

i love these things a mate of mine has 3 1 original spec like the day it rolled off the line and a project one that was mega messed up (masterton spec spray bomb metalic green and lots of rust no engine ect ) its been painted gun metal grey and is getting the blacktop 6 speed treatment oh and 1 in parts and a fxgt race car and his dad has a grandma owned spec 5 door in mint nic also

oh and a guy i work with also has one i think its the same colour scheme as yours

and i also co drove in a a nzgt 5 door lift back rally car used to do 220kph on gravel with a angry silvertop

Cheers for that, much appreciated, I will try them if I can’t find something locally.

Hey man. I have a factory front lip for one of these, but it has broken peice etc

If your keen let ke know, will need some fiberglass work etc, but totally transform these hatchs

Looks mint by the way!!

Keen as. Will PM you with offers of Pie's and other home baked goods.. possibly beer.

Thanks I appreciate the encouragement. I haven't spent that much time on it, a few hours here and there after work and on the weekend.. Decided to quit drinking Alcohole through winter so I have a lot of time that I didn't before, nice to have a mini project.

Interior and sound fit out is next, and an alarm with central locking, just revived a box of Dynamat to deaden the car.

Going to Retro Vehicle Enhancements today to have my Corolla's leather seats colour matched and priced up, hope to have them re covered next week.

Funny question but does anyone know where to buy dye? As in Dye I can re colour my carpets with?? I am struggling.