Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

So exhaust is now done, just need to heatwrap the section that passes under the steering rack and other bits. Got a throttle cable bracket made up also, only a slight angle grinder injury to hand involved.

The last things that need doing include sorting out the thermostat housing - its seeping water a tiny little bit. Also need to get the intake sorted. The scary thing is - I now need it to be done before Friday if at all possible.

Have run the car up to temperature and everything seems to be working properly, after a wee scare the first time i warmed it up as the thermostat that came with the motor was no good. It gets up to temp and stays there now. No taps or rattles or smoke so it looks like i got a good motor :D

So yeah, was going to book it in for a tune next week, but the tuner will be away for a while after next Monday so i really need to either get it done this week or face a couple more weeks wait. I dont reeeeally have the money for a tune right now - but i would reeeeeally like to drive the car again. So im going to try and pull a couple of strings and pray like hell the hilux sells.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha cheers mate. Will catch up with ya in a week once its been on the rollers - then can actually drive it properly.

Late last week I managed to drive it a bit and discovered the gearbox was crunchy. This upset me a bit and after wondering wtf was going on - i discovered that the oil i had been recommended was not intended to work well with synchromesh boxes. So i decided to drain it all out and try some normal mineral oil. Felt pissed that id wasted $170 on oil that didnt work - but you live and learn i guess.

So todays progress was to finish the air intake and do the first gear oil change. 3rd synchro feels a lot better now - ive a feeling with another flush it will all come right.

A lot more of the ECU parameters are all set so im just about ready to get it tuned. This week i need to weld a boss in the exhaust for an oxy sensor, heat wrap the headers, clean up a bit of CV grease from a leaky front boot, clean the engine bay and thats about it!

Excited, yeah, i am.

6 speed conversion would cost me about 4k. So nah, ill stick to 5 speeds. And yeah, this one was nakkered when i got it. Havnt even wound the new motor up to full power yet since its not tuned.

The wrecker swore the box was a good one when he test drove the car it came out of. However, he also told me that their in house transmission expert put it into a new casing after fucking the bell housing on the original one. So i think someone hasnt shimmed it up right.

So after lingling started bitching about fuel economy, i went out and slammed a narrowband oxygen sensor in. Wired it all up, tested it out and discovered a problem; it puts out around 0.7v at idle which is correct, but then when the ECU starts leaning it out - the voltage slowly drops to about 0.5v then slams downwards to 0v really quick.

The problem is that the ECU reports a 0v condition as a short to ground which trips the check engine light and causes it to completely reset the trim table since it thinks the oxygen sensor has stopped working.

Thoughts? Should a narrowband oxy sensor go to 0v? Im pretty sure thats ok - i just dont know how to tell the Link ECU to stop worrying about it.

Also, dyno tune in the morning. To quote the lyrical wordsmith voice of a generation that is KK

Insert noise of 10000 vuvuzulas re excitement levels..