Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

I like your lack of mechanical sympathy for this thing

Why run a narrow band?

You should just fit a wideband and be happy

Theres a guy on toyspeed selling AEM ones for $119 to your door

Wideband sensors have an accurate lifespan of only 50-200 hours. Plus you need to calibrate them, so on a road car can do more harm than good when used for long term fueling.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, was going to do the wideband thing but had that explained to me and had to agree. Hadnt thought bout it that way before.

On the Palmy drive, the car went well - the 02 sensor didnt register a voltage at all. So either i havnt hooked something up right or the car is running super mega lean. We shall see.

4wire heated, its quite a way away from the ports, brand spankin new.

It does work since i have seen it working at idle with my old tune, but as soon as you rev the motor up it just dropped to 0v. With the new map it just doesnt move at all except on very light trailing throttle where it barely scrapes 0.1v.

Will be looking into it more tomorrow - will see if the heater is actually working.

Had my tune sorted today. Managed 160kw peak and there was more to be had if i swapped to 98RON fuel, a better intake and better flowing rear muffler - but i dont reeeeally want to do any of the above for noise and cost reasons.

Didnt get a dyno plot but did video one of the runs. It turned out shitty so i wont post it up here just yet.

Heres some pics from today.

scaled.php?server=831&filename=phto0005.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=576&filename=phto0009.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=560&filename=phto0006.jpg&res=medium

Overall the car drives pretty nicely, it pulls down low just as good as it used to then at about 4500rpm it really starts to take off. Keeps pulling to 7k which is where im currently shifting gear. Not going to gain much by taking it any higher.

Cant wait to give it a fang on the track at nats.

kw measured at hubs, torque - i have no idea, i think it was about 240-280nm? As for towing abilities, nah no different since torque figures between the old motor and new one arent really that far apart. This one just breathes a lot better higher in the rev range.

160 at the hubs aint bad. subaru rate these things at 180kw flywheel iirc. so the link/fancy tune must have tickled its balls a lil

Correct, 180kw at the hubs is achievable with a new exhaust, better fuel and some more time on the dyno. Might do it later once my bank account has recovered. Its certainly a shitload more rapid than before!!

• 2 weeks later...

So this things been off the road since about a week after i got it tuned. Im reeeeeeally missing driving it and have been hooning to work on the madass. I thought driving the Hilux made me appreciate the small things like carpet and air con. Riding the Madass makes me appreciate even smaller luxuries like a windscreen and a comfortable seat.

The gearbox has gone back to the wreckers to get sorted. They sent it out to some workshop somewhere in Auckland who split it apart and said everything looks good to them - they cant understand why it was popping out of gear and fucking about. So they repleaced a couple synchros, set up the backlash and have sent it back down to me.

Will be reinstalling it in the next couple days and can hopefully get driving again!

Its a very straightforward mechanical linkage on these boxes. My top link has been touching the floorpan on hard 3rd gear shifts so will grind the linkage down a bit and fit new bushes. The popping out of gear was definitely a selector issue tho - its almost as tho the thrust faces were worn causing the input shaft to slide forward enough to stop 3rd engaging properly. Or it wasnt shimmed properly.

They did replace the input shaft too so hopefully it will go nicely and behave.

• 2 weeks later...