Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

Finished all the last bits off today, checked all the bolts were tight then did some more road testing.

It seems if theres no load on one of the back wheels, the LSD does fuck all.  So in the wet with weight transfer, it just lights one up.  It seems by adjusting my driving style i can get it to behave.

In the dry it scrabbles a little but gets both rear wheels going round the right amount of times.  Did a couple donuts too....so shit definitely works.

Cam:  Nah but with the electronics hooked up, you can pretty much lock the center diff so a nice plated lsd in the back would be very effective.

Now i just gotta build a controller for the center diff, will probably just use a budget factory one since 99.9% of the time its just going to be open/rear bias anyways.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Bidding on some coilovers so i can go back to max slam spec again.  Exciting!

Will need to re-do part of the exhaust if thats the case.

Have also gotten more used to driving it and in the wet or on gravel, its massive amounts of fun.  But on dry roads, theres still enough grip to make being a real dick quite difficult.  Rear diff has started to sort its shit out and locks up a lot more positively now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay!  Adjustable doofers are now in.  Gotta wind the front down a bit more to get it all level but im reasonably happy so far.  Think i got bit of a good score for $300.  Cheers to Sentra for picking up the struts for me!

Discovered one of my rack ends has exploded.  Gone from zero play at the last wof to having armfulls of slop in less than 3 months.  Replaced both of them before Wes' track day last year....so they really havnt lasted well.  The drivers side is still sweet but i think im gonna swap both of them out.  Ive never had one fail like that before and i dont trust it really.

Then its time for a wheel alignment and we'll see how close we are to factory spec.

• Like 1

Wes' track day last year

Okay so i have hired out the full track at taupo for the whole day on the 19th of august. This is going to be for my birthday...

Time flies eh? 

You also thrash the fuck out of this thing, so I'm not surprised. 

• Like 1

New rack ends are in.  Autolign looked after me really well and ive actually got the right ones this time!! 

Got a wheel alignment and the front came up all good.  The back was too low tho.  Currently got -2.5* camber.  Probably need to knock a degree off that at least.  Rear driveshafts aren't the happiest with their new angle either so im gonna raise the rear by about 10mm I think.  Should get everything more acceptable.

Also on the lookout for some Outback lower control arm bushes and a roll centre kit.  Should give me a bit more caster and make the steering a bit more natural.  Can certainly feel the difference a bit of low makes.  Its not huge, but its there.

Then its onwards and upwards to a cert! 

• Like 1

the most abused cars are often looked after the best, rather than your daily Yaris owner who doesnt check the oil ever

Spot on mate.  Problems are inspected and sorted before they become big issues.  Servicing is always done with care at the right intervals with the right fluids.  Genuine parts used wherever possible. 

That's my secret folks ;)

Edit:  Wtf...quote isn't showing Jokers name....looks like my work internet is wonky too.

• 2 weeks later...

WOOOO RAIN!  More sideways!  Really need to get a diff controller, cant just use FULL POWERRRR whenever I want anymore.  Put some Shockproof in the rear diff and it locks up pretty fiercely.  Still single spins if you cock a wheel off the ground but with a jelly wagon chassis that doesn't happen often.  Shockproof in the main box/front diff too so im hoping that will keep the bearings happy.

New ride height is pretty good.  Managed to grind all the way through my flexi joint and cracked the mount off the front Y pipe.  Driveway seems hardly bothered so id say it won this round.  Will be playing with some mufflers tomorrow to try and get the Porsche howl a bit crisper.

Track day at Manfeild in September is all paid for.  Might throw it on the dyno too with new intake and exhaust and see what happens.  There were a few more killerwhats to be had last time.  Also on the lookout for a couple sets of 4AGE ITB's.  Why not eh?

• Like 2

Re ITB's. I think theres a set for sale in the fo sale section RITE NOW.

Difference between silver and black?  Would buy them but im poor as fuck this week...need to sell one of my RC cars wink wink nudge nudge