Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting blacktop ones because they are cheap and plentiful.  As for plenums....I havnt decided yet if I should run one big one in the center and angle the throttle bodies or run 2 separate plenums.  I really don't know anything about these things.

Depends how the manifolds work out! In my imagination I think of the ITbs or trumpets crossing over to get a decent intake length and one big plenum over the whole lot, the a central intake from above the radiator or something.

Depends how the manifolds work out! In my imagination I think of the ITbs or trumpets crossing over to get a decent intake length and one big plenum over the whole lot, the a central intake from above the radiator or something.

Don't forget ive got a 3ft gap between inlets.  Would be some hoooooooge runners to cross them over.  Will have to read up on how these things work.

I wrote a bunch of shit then lost it, the ITB's won't unleash mega power at all. Usually the benefits are had by tuning your intake runner length to better suit your mods (ie move it up the rev range slightly) the other gains are from a less restrictive intake/airbox system, hence if you leave your throttles flapping in the breeze with filter socks you have wasted most of the gains from the conversion. There is also throttle response to be had, but yea thats a added bonus.

Making manifolds won't be fun with that kink in the front port! in an ideal scenario you would have them all packaged nicely and aimed to a central air box, that over the radiator intake is sweet, you would incorporate something like that going straight into the central plenum. Nice cold air, correct intake length, winning, making it happen is a bit harder than typing it out though.

Well its not like im in a real hurry for the ITB's.  Exhaust is the important one to finish before my cert.  Only takes 10mins tops to take the intake manifold off on this thing so I can play around getting the new ones to fit without taking the car off the road.

Actually the front cylinders only kink to run around the ancillaries.  If I just have all of them pointing straight up and run 2 smaller plenums, this will work and be pretty easy.

Then I could pretty much mirror my current above rad intake scoop and have 1 for each bank.  Would need to massage the AC lines but that's all easy.

Yea that will work, but will you have the height to run a decent intake length? see those factory intake runners, stand them up straight out of the port and I guess they would be out of the bonnet. You will be wanting to probably run a intake length from port to end of trumpet about the length of the factory setup, probably a couple inches shorter.