Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

Got a wof today.  Wof inspector pointed out the clutch master cylinder reservoir had fallen off some time ago.  Had been running on the few mls of fluid sitting in the inlet.

Bought some new tyres and some rego.  Going to give 205/45 Altenzo Sport Comforters a go. 

Joined the Hansen fan club 'mbop' and will be competing in their motorkhana/autocross series.  Cant wait to see how the wagon stacks up against VG and Dantech Ltd.

Skids ahoy!

• Like 1

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did some autocross today.  Took me a couple runs to get used to the new DCCD setup.  Took quite a few more runs before i learned that massive amounts of throttle are no longer needed.  Actually....i never did learn that and spent the whole day smoking the tyres and being a goon. 

• Like 7

I did learn tho that for best results, dont bother with the clutch.  On the slower to medium speed bits - it was best to just wap the handbrake which would lock the rear wheels and spin the fronts up.  Then when you stamp on the loud pedal again, the rears would smoke up and the bum swings round nicely.

Just need to learn to get a good mix of showy-offness and actual speed on the course.  Today i was too far on the goon end of the spectrum to be completely pleased with myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been chatting to my good buddy Clint and i think we're going to do a budget turbo setup just to see what happens.  We've both come to the realisation that our cars are awesome but dont have mass appeal because we sacrificed power for reliability.

The plan is to bolt on a turbo and run a conservative high-ish compression low boost setup.  Drop in some STI injectors, a chinese intercooler kit and so far we've settled on a Holset from the states.  Cheap as chips since every bogans dodge ram has a HX35/HX40 in it.

The goal for me is to make at the very most 220kw at the wheels.  Thats all the 5 speed box is good for so thats it.  Any number north of 200 will be acceptable.  Other peoples experiences tell us it should be possible on about 8psi of boost.  The stock rods are capable of surviving 320kw with some lower compression pistons (despite being laughably small) so i think 220 should be safe with the current compression ratio.  Raptor superchargers stand by their product making 200kw safely on an unopened motor.

Hardest part for me is going to be deciding where to put the turbo and finding room for all of the plumbing.  We're both running Link ECU's and both have spare shortblocks ready to drop in so its a relatively low risk game.

I know i've threatened to do a lot of things before but if all the cards fall into place in the next few months - this will happen.

Shopping list;

Intercooler and some pipes (front mounted)

Injectors (denso top feed around 400cc)

Holset HX35 turbo with modified wastegate actuator for lower boost pressures

Some exhaust plumbing

A morning on the dyno

• Like 1

if i had a dollar for every time clunt was turboing his 6 i would have enough to turbo your car for you hahahha.....good luck young one youl need it. 

Yeah but this time, we dont have big plans and I'll be doing it at the same time so we can split shipping on shit and hopefully get a mad deal from Dave!

You're doing pretty well at this not being a car person thing, hehehehehe.

What power is it making at the mo?

160kwots.  Which unfortunately is less than Brad seems to be making with his LS1....that would be the main reason for needing more oomph.

• Like 1

Like the budget turbo idea, and the Holsets' are nice and cheap (even new like the one I got).

The HX40's are reasonably common here in NZ (HX35's weren't on anything new here) so keep an eye out for them also.

You won't be able to use any that are internally gated, as they are usually far too small, and only by-pass one of the scrolls on a twin-scroll T-hsg (from memory).

I got mine with a non-WG'd 12cm housing, you could probably go a bit bigger (14 or 16cm) with 3.0l and N/A-esque compression ratios without creating a lag-monster.

Not sure what the engine bay looks like on H6, but with one centrally mounted across the back (firewall), a nice pair of 'headers' from each bank, feeding each scroll, with a pair of 38mm external gates at the collectors, and a 3-3.5" down-pipe to the passenger side would be pretty drool worthy.

Another one to look at (if getting something from the US) is a Holset HE351VE with the VNT actuator, be a bit of fun if you have any spare PWM outputs on the LINK....

(turn on your bullsh!t filter and have a flick through this)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Lol nah its long gone.  Only just got round to doing something about it.  Tbh, nobody wants their car back after its been nicked/it was time to move on.

Has been a couple months daily driving my Terrano, cant take it any more. Gotta buy something with some cornering ability.

• Like 2