Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one exhaust port per cylinder

will it still sound as cool as the old one?

Nope, the newer motors sound waaaaaaay hornier!!!!

See this;

KYsZ1-IqS1w

DCCD would be awesome. Reckon the later model engine will pull a few more KW?

Yup, old motor was good for 120kw on keiths dyno. Ive seen the new one return 184kw on a rolling road.

dccd sounds like the carputer project ; more complication than it needs to be, you'll love it then wish you hadnt even bothered

Bollocks, easiest mod ever. Ask mike if he enjoys it.

• 2 weeks later...

Right so new motor should be here today or tomorrow. The old motor is out of the hole and i'll spend tonight whipping the gearbox out. Will also make a start on re-wiring my neutral and reverse switches since I wont need a relay on it anymore with the Link ECU.

Will also be tidying up the engine bay and painting over all the little scrapes and dings before they get cancer. After 4 gearbox swaps you tend to get a few scratches.

Put in a spare set of front struts with slightly lower springs on them - it makes the front sit at just the right height. So now the car is level again - will get a picture once the new engine is in as its sitting high of course until then.

Drained the oil out, it had been in there about 6 months.

gearoil.jpg

I mean, thats not tooooo bad for engine oil.....except its gear oil. Not quite sure how that happened. Drain plug magnet was also chocka with metal.

Will whack up some pics when i fit the new motor in.

And for people who like pictures, heres some photos comparing the old with the new so you can better see how its supposed to make so much more power;

Old Exhaust port design

31wnioXxQwL.jpg

New Header design

T6-0503-002.jpg

Nice picture for VG explaining the variable lift thing i was banging on about last night

teardown%20-%20DS%20head%20and%20cams.jpg

teardown%20-%20DS%20head4%20-%20AVLS%20lifters.jpg

The fairly largeish variable cam sprockets (which i might have clearance issues with)

PDX-H6-Assembly2.jpg

New Intake vs Old one

ez30%20and%20ez30r%20intakes.jpg

ez30%20intake.jpg

So on the old motor the exhaust ports are siamesed into a single port right from the head? eeewww, thats like those new Holden motors.

OT but, I think it's the budgo spec holden motors that have the single port? From memory the higher spec ones were still individual...performance wise my old man has a VE calais V6, it's fairly rapid for what it is

siamesed Holden

OT but, I think it's the budgo spec holden motors that have the single port? From memory the higher spec ones were still individual...performance wise my old man has a VE calais V6, it's fairly rapid for what it is

I believe this man is correct, the non-'high' output V6's have poo ports just to get the cats closer to the fire I think.

Hijack etc. Keen to see doorts.

are the 6 speed boxes the same from the version 7 wrx through to the current subaru models? excluding the diesel ones which id presume are different

Na. They changed at v8 and I think again at 10. The 7s are suposed to be the weakest of the lot so Im told.

They are also very pricey to rebuild as they arent as easy to get parts for.

are the 6 speed boxes the same from the version 7 wrx through to the current subaru models? excluding the diesel ones which id presume are different

Nah same design, probably minor modifications along the way but nothing big. The Outback and Legacy diesels ran a modified 5 speed. Dont know what the very latest ones use.