Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New gearbox is here. Went with a 4.111 final 2000 WRX box this time. It has the 8 bolt bell housing to actually match my motor and has a stronger casing that is less flexible....AND apparently better synchros.

Hopefully this one will do the job for me.

Plan is to throw the new box in after ClubSUB nats and OS nats so i can finish fucking this one up first. It has become significantly rattly under power.

• 1 month later...
Plan is to throw the new box in after ClubSUB nats and OS nats so i can finish fucking this one up first. It has become significantly rattly under power.

Well CS nats is now over. And i certainly did finish fucking this one up nicely. I was kind to the wagon on the track day and used it purely for towing duties while the hatch got a hiding around the track.

phto0002.jpg

However...on the Saturday i couldnt resist whipping it out for the gymkhana. Heres a vid, was extremely happy with the sounds it made and the factory launch control:

So now 1st gear sounds really horrible, all the input shaft bearings are rattly and it spun a bearing somewhere in the box as i was cruising back home into feilding. Made a loud screechy metal on metal noise for about 500m until i pulled over. Then it was extra rattly after that.

Luckily I did things right this year and got away with just the right amount of thrashing and had a spare gearbox at home ready to go in. Will look at fitting it after OS nats if the current one will stay in one piece that long.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so this thing is currently up on stands outside my place in pieces. Its getting the following upgrades;

- Tein Coilovers and EDFC removed

- New suspension installed for a comfier ride (question below)

- New 8bolt bell housing gearbox installed

- New factory spec clutch to replace the leg destroying HD pressure plate of heavyness

- New interior boot panels to replace the ones ive munted by carrying engines

- Bodywork fixed up by panelbeaters

- 2 new small resonators fitted, one under each head to reduce exhaust pipe harmonics

Also on the cards;

- Link G4 Storm ECU (Once the grey Legacy sells)

As for the suspension, i dont know whether to stick with Bilstein struts or go to KYB struts with dual rate damping. Apparently the KYB's are supposed to ride nicer. I honestly dont know. Bilsteins are costing me $200 for a used set and if i were to go with a brand new set of KYB struts - i'd be looking at around $800 all up. Cant decide if its worth the investment to go to all new struts.

Opinions? Really i just want a lush ride thats nice and comfy. Dont really give a shit about cornering performance in this thing anymore.

Im also leaning towards the bilsteins because from a retailers perspective, anything that can be manufactured and sold at a profit to all involved for $200NZD is unlikely to be of similar internal quality as a bilstein strut. Plus it gives me more spare coin to throw at something else. Its also possible im completely wrong and have fallen into a marketing ploy by the germans.

Next mission is to get some clear weather so i can drop the gearbox out of it

Link G4 Extreme on the way. Cant help feeling i just pissed away 2k but at least i can retain the stock ECU and just move the G4 to whatever car i buy in the future.

New struts and clutch are also ready to go in so its going to be a busy weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the cars been in bits for pretty much 3 weeks now. Im seriously missing driving it and this breaks all previous records for amount of time ive gone without driving it in the last 3 years.

Bilstein struts are in...and holy shit its comfy again!!! I mean it wasnt that bad with the Tein adjustables, but now its silent as i dont have to hear the pillowball mounts knocking away when its cold outside. Also ride height is pretty sweet. Drove it 200 yards then put it back on ramps and ripped the gearbox out.

Chur to Coldsparkle for help removing the old box, extra chur to Shaven Yak for being a transmission jack for fitting of the new box. Its currently hanging off the back of the engine while ive been waiting for a clear day off to do the rest of the work.

New Exedy clutch fitted. New lower control arm bushes to be fitted. Im aiming to have it all done for midday tomorrow so i can take it into the tire shop and get a pair of new fronts fitted and an alignment.

So - things to do in the morning;

* Install all bell-housing bolts and starter motor

* Install gear linkage and bushes

* Install center prop shaft and heat shields

* Install lower control arm bushes

* Re-fit gearbox crossmember and pitching bar

* Connect reversing lights up for the first time in 2 years

* Re-fit exhaust and poo up all the joints for maximum sealage

* Vacuum the bees out of the air filter

Should be able to do all that in 4 hours yeah? Then in 2 weeks when my Link arrives from teh factory, I'l wire that bad boy in and then its off to Keiths for a spot of tuning.

• 1 month later...

OK Updatey time.

- New gearbox is in and is a little whiney but ill cope

- Gear linkage doesnt like being 'massaged' to fit the new box....so need to buy a new linkage

- New clutch is much better to drive with and isnt set in concrete

- New Bilstein struts are comfy and make me happy

- Front springs need to come down an inch to make everything look right

- Sway bar bushes are creaking like a bitch so will have to get under there and sort that asap

- Link G4 has been installed and tuned

The new ECU has transformed driving the car. Its back to being a smooth torque monster instead of a hesitant wheezy prick of a thing. I didnt actually make any more power with the new ECU but thats hardly suprising since the car is getting up in the k's and i havnt actually done any significant engine mods.

photo0075mz.jpg

Was hoping for 130kw but 120 will do the job, especially considering the relatively massive drivetrain losses in the 4WD system. The top line is the Link G4, middle line is a run i did at 130,000kms and the bottom incomplete line was this mornings run on the factory ECU - so you can see it really wasnt performing right. We only ran it to 4,000rpm as it was hitting speed cut. Long story. It just was,

So im nearly happy again. Now i need to get the bodywork fixed up, lower the front a smidge then......PUT A TURBO ON IT