Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the original plan was to supercharge my motor to get it up to around 180-200kw at the wheels....but i just had a thought. I could purchase a EZ30R motor, drop it straight in, bolt on all of my ancillaries and then just re-tune. Would give me around 180 at the wheels and i wouldnt need a cert, in fact i wouldnt need to change anything.

Then i can sell my old motor on and recoup approx 50% of the costs. Plus i'd be buying a newer motor with far less k's on it.

So really, im looking at about $800 to get variable valve lift and variable cam timing. Would also get one exhaust port per cylinder and a free-er flowing intake manifold. Only modification required on the car would be to change the exhaust headers since the rest of the motor is identical. Peak torque is higher and earlier, total power is much higher, area under the power plot will be greater due to the extra efficiency of the variable timing.

Sounds like a good idea yes?

Currently waiting on dyno plot from my mate with an EZ30R so i can compare it to my current motor and see what kinda differences there are. Im pretty sure we have both run on the same dyno.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty boys 'n girls. So yeah this thing needs new rings and a new gearbox. Not entirely unexpected. Its seen 120,000kms of hard abuse with me and ive finally worn the engine out at just over 200,000 on the clock. The gearbox is no suprise either since i keep buying $200 ones that have no warranty from crashed boy racer cars.

So this time im going to drop in the 3.0R motor, which unlike mine has: one exhaust port per cylinder, 2 stage variable valve lift, constantly variable timing on the inlet cams and a better flowing inlet manifold. This engine will drop straight in and should only require minor wiring for the VTEK solenoids etc. Should also only require an hour or 2 on the dyno to adapt my tune to it.

On the gearbox front. I dont really want to buy another shitter - especially since shortly a more powerful engine will be going in front of it. So im on the lookout for either a later model 5 speed OR if the gods smile on me, a DCCD 6 speed. For those who dont know, DCCD boxes have a 'Driver Controlled Center Differential' which basically uses some electromagnets and a PWM controller to allow you to set the lockup of the center diff. It can go from a 75-35 torque split to locked 50-50. So i should be able to do RWD style skids and be cool like all the big boys.

Will be tearing some of the motor out this weekend and will start touching up the engine bay/tunnel getting it ready for the new goodies. Also have some new Bilstein struts and some decent'er brake pads to throw at it. So should be a pretty sweet overhaul. Only cunty thing is that the motor i want is rather expensive usually. However, because the most popular thing for wreckers to sell is the power steering pump and alternator - im able to get a motor without those for significantly cheaper. My units should fit and so this option saves me money. The downside is that i have to wait for the one particular wrecker who agreed to this to get one in stock. So heres waiting time.