Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers. I wish progress was faster and the adaptor plate is taking a bit longer than I thought. Silly things like finding counter sunk bolts in a un-obtanium thread don't help.

I hope some others pick up on these engines and plonk them into totally unsuitable old cars. quite neat wee units.

All I hope is that I get it all sorted for the trip north for Oldschool nats 2013!

looking good man,

on the starter offset ring, i got tired of this issue (stemmed from adaptor plates and changing mind on starters too many times) and just turned off the spigot completely then slotted one of the holes for adjustment and scribed the alignment mark, two motors now no issues.

I was thinking about that but if I turn the tabs down thinner I would like the added strength of a tight fitting starter location interface thingee.

I could turn it down further then make a offset shim that I could rotate- like a cam. But then as the I rotate it the starter would not only move in or out but up and down and the bolts wouldn't line up.

I wonder how much back lash I should have. I have a spare fwd box that came with all those bits so I guess I bolt that in p,ace with a stater and see what the factory backlash is.

Alltorque- did they do a radisich probe too? I definitely remember going to the Blenheim mazda dealership in the early 90's when they released the mx6 and had one doing the rounds. The little all alloy V6 seemed like a very nice thing back then for sure. Don't know why the hell I was there looking at a modern car I had no way of affording and was wrong wheel drive. They must have had free food on offer....

I figure it's the kl body as that's what he was running.

I have a heap of different bodies- k8, KF and several kl ones. I noticed the KF one has just one cam/lever thing on the side- not two like the others.

Apart from that what other differences are there- I have not properly looked at them in depth.

Find some trucking places with a weigh bridge will let you scoot across for nothing if you spin a bit of a yarn/ask nicely

Must be 2 or 3 round Nelson that you could weigh it on and compare weights.

Im keen to put one the 2.5 engines into a b1600 one day