Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh yeah the chevette forum. Memories. Just ask Tortron about the discussions that went on many moons ago.

The forum was shut ages ago but kept up for viewing. But the links dont go directly to the car.

Sadly now that forum seems to be filled with shit loads of crap adverts for ug boots etc- its been hacked by russians and chinese by the looks of it? If you go to the 3rd to last page under members cars you find 'project Rotorvette'

Try this link- put it straight in the address bar.. might work?

http://www.chevettes...hp?f=16&t=11982

EDIT; that link seems to work fine. weird..

Still might have look into either making a new manifold or going itbs. The throttle body will end up right above the back edge of the radiator and need quite a tight bend heading into it. Oh.. And the idle controll valve sit right where the top pipes come out. Without the icv the tb will clear the pipes but I'd have to add in the icv somewhere else with remote piping and vac lines.

Plus it'll all possibly look a bit messy around the front. I'd rather a plenum that is fed from the side and in some way deep enough that I get most even fed of air to each cylinder.

If I went itbs then the sound....

Hmmm dilemmas.

I'm gonna have a coffee...

Can't flip manifold as the tb would end up right in middle of bulkhead. Shame.

Durty- those above itbs crossed over have a similar layout to what I would like to build. I think the only way I can get some nice length into the runners.

Without lowering the engine further, going by measurements against where the current engine is with sump clearance, I have about 165 mm between the inlet manifold faces and the bonnet underside bracing. The Fraser manifold is about 140 mm high.

I would have to build the inlet runners in modular style so they bolt to the plenum chamber. Otherwise installing or removing the fuel rails would be a mission.

I love the look of the Alfa gta v6.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

13efb0516c52e57485a64ee8eec6e940.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good progress on the engine swap.

When I moved my engine back I found the gearshifter fouled on the handbrake in 2nd and 4th gear. Had to take 15mm out of the handbrake lever.

Why don't you run a remote oil filter and then not have to worry about the crossmember clearance? Means you can mount it somewhere it where it won't make a mess when you change it either.

Good work.

Yeah I seem to remember either you or 1300hundys magnum 4age conversion had issues with handbrake. Luckily mine is ok- the gear stick is about 1" away from end of handbrake. So that's nice.

I tried the filter today and I can just unscrew it with engine in place. And that's nice too.

Gearbox mount now all sorted and engine mounts well under way. Will be all bolted in tomorrow and then I'll start on the sump. Quite excited even though I know there is a whole shit load of work and I'm sure some grief yet to arrive on the scene.

Ok? Mig was up high so heaps of penetration. Quite chunky mounts I admit but wanna keep Don Hoff certifier happy.

Looking forwards to but nervous about tig welding the sump together. Will be good practice and at least can't be seen easily when it all goes messy. Will tack it together with mig though and tig it at home from the comfort of my sandfly infested shed.

Cheers zac- crack on with it!

Welding the sump right now. Flat joint or outside corner joints I find easy enough. But inside corner butt joints are bloody hard. looks terrible and taking me ages. I dont think im starting with enough grunt. The arc will tend to go towards one piece or the other but not down into the foot of the corner. And its harder to see whats happening. good practice I guess.

I hate seeing the argon gauge going down. its like driving a hard driven rotary and watching the fuel gauge. dollar signs!

How's your tungsten protrusion? I always find it helps to have a freshly ground sharp tungsten, number 6 cup, and slightly more protrusion than usual, for inside corner joints. Get the tungsten in nice and close. Have to be careful of crashing it though, but I find it makes things easier to get it right close in to the corner.

No work on Starion today, spent the day doing prep on the Wanker for it's first off road outing next weekend :).

Ahhhh protrusion. Yeah I stuck the tungsten out further and have been using a 6 cup. I reckon I might not being giving it enough ompff into the joint and then it just gets hot too slowly. It seems that I have to give it heaps and be real quick to get it moving and feed the filler rod in quick. Something I'm still not that good at.

What's the wanker you talk about?