Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheepers

this is so excellent!!!

i think its safe to say the whole of old school is hoping this car makes it to the nats and back without a hitch!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Guest yoeddynz

Yeah Im pretty relieved that it all works- but also quite daunted about how easy it will be to tune. I have a friend who'll pop over tomorrow and he has good experience with MS so should be able to help.

Guest 77magnum13hundy

Well done chap, i mean very well done. Looks real good in there... stoked for you hope you get it running right, which you will....

• Like 1

Guest yoeddynz

Man, you rule at this stuff.

What do ya do for a living?

Contractor at a classic car restoration business. Still restoring a very rusty old Bedford CF- there is a thread somewhere on here for it. But right now last few weeks have been more Viva.....

Guest ProZac

Dude and Dudette. Legend. That engine bay just looks amazing, so super stoked for you guys :). When the red car is going, we're definitely coming to visit and check it out!

Guest Seedy Al

Alex.

I hate you.

you put all the work I feel I have been doing to shame

I too got mine running today, but I am running a factory ECU, so not even close to how much work and stokedness you must be feeling

So I could be way off about this, but firstly, I assume you checked your water levels etc after it got hot and cooled back down?

Remeber your running a clean block with no water in there at all, so it all needs to bleed through the system and get past the thermostat and all that.

But, what I was mostly thinking, is that if your fuel levels are a bit out, this could also be causing the motor to run hot. Espcailly if its super lean.

However, I could be way off on that as well, as I have never tuned a MS of course

Guest yoeddynz

Cheers guys- yeah I'm stoked.

Al- I was thinking the running lean thing wouldn't help much but for the sake of a little extra work I'll pop the thermostat out first thing in the morning and check it works. Then I can move on from there.

I hope I can get this car to the nats. If I can get a tune on it where I can confidently drive it over hill and dale, sit at lights without it stalling etc then its all go. Its pushing it..not exactly what a sensible person would do..take a fresh engine, new ecu, lack of time on the road, many unknown quantities etc on a raod trip but hey- I'll do my best and I have AA membership..

• Like 1

Guest anglia4

Fuck you guys rule!

The work you do is amazing! I don't know how you still manage to get it looking so perfect on such tight time!

When the time pressure comes on for me I tend to start cable tying and taping shit together just to "get it going"!!

Guest Seedy Al

haha yes, That is what I do also.

My engine conversion on the crown is nothing pretty, but i also know I plan on doing it mostly again when I convert to throttle bodys etc.

I am just amazed at how well this has come on, for someone who had never tigged before etc, bought a wleder, started making custom everything, and still get it looking so tidy.

I must say, taking time off work to get shit done can sometimes be the best thing ever.

I will see you at nats in this Alex, I know you, you will pull through for sure

Guest yoeddynz

No pressure then...... :-)

Been reading up on these engines and I think stuck thermostats are fairy common. So out with that after breakie and test it.

This is too early on a Sunday but needs must..