Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers mr brick. I hope I can get the bugger to the nats!

Michael- I have been searching but no solid info yet... I'm wondering if the engines all share the same sized valve springs and retainers even if the inlet valve heads on the k8 are smaller. The k8 has 28mm inlets. The kl 32mm. Not sure on the KF. But I reckon Mazda wouldn't have made different sized springs and retainers? I think it's most likely just the valve head diameter that changes in size.

I tried asking Nelson Mazda parts dept but so far they have been useless!

Checked my retainers. They are millennia items. Thicker and stronger. I think the last of the Klze engines got these.

Even better- I can use the exhaust springs and retainers I have on my spare heads. They are exactly the same items as the DE inlet items. Springs are a bit stiffer too. I had this reply from mx3 forum too..

Re: Do the 1.8/2.0 share the same sized valve springs as 2.5

I just checked Mazda part numbers for intake/exhaust valve springs the 93 1.8L (MX-3) and 2.5L (MX-6) engines, they both use the same springs on both valves: KL0-112-125A

So to answer your question, based on the info from a OEM Mazda parts catalog, you can use either intake or exhaust valve springs and retainers from a 1.8L MX-3 engine in your KLZE to replace the larger intake valve springs and retainers...

Hope this helps!

Tim

That's going to look so out of it with the modern V6 in there. The rotary looked stock, I'm sure anyone could have been convinced it was with enough leaning, I'm not sure you can attain that same look with the V6, it'll be a super tidy "hotrod" look. Awesome, awesome stuff. You have a keen eye, good sir.

That's going to look so out of it with the modern V6 in there. The rotary looked stock, I'm sure anyone could have been convinced it was with enough leaning, I'm not sure you can attain that same look with the V6, it'll be a super tidy "hotrod" look. Awesome, awesome stuff. You have a keen eye, good sir.

Yeah I don't think it'll look so stock. No carb for starters. But with matched to the car coloured cam covers I'm hoping for that sort of period rally car engineering look. Fuck I cant wait to start the bugger! I'm so curious as to what it'll sound like. Really am trying to have it sorted. I think it's the base tuning that will take time and I'll certainly be on here asking questions soon!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest yoeddynz

That crinkle finish paint smells like puke. Honest as. It stinks. Weird. But yeah I love the look of it. I reckon it'll look so much sweeter when I have painted the other cam covers in the Viva body colour.

Wiring today after spending the morning getting my head around some extra shit on the megasquirt. I love wiring- lots of pretty colours.

Guest 77magnum13hundy

hey did your speedo cable attach to a right angle junction box type thing at the back of the dash input? my hc had one of these and as im running a toyota gearbox they are somewhat different... anyways thats cool to discover that a torana setup fits...

Guest yoeddynz

My speedo cable goes straight in line - no angle box. I'm running a Toyota hiace speedo cable as its nice and long allowing a smooth run with gentle bends to the output on the Mazda box which is on the other side to a Viva box. Toyota and Mazda, well at least these ones, share the same gearbox end which is handy.

Yeah it's cool that the dashes are the same. I have been looking for a cheap one of these for ages. All the Torana GTR clone builders want them and they normally go for much more. Often fetching upwards of $400 aud for mint ones. I got this one for $162 nz. Sweet. It comes with the plugs which is rare too.

It'll be good to not have to look down under the dash for the rev counter and I want a oil pressure gauge too. Will miss the funky strip speedo though :-(