Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

The Mazda engines I got all came with these clips and hoses so I just reused them. I can't pull them no matter how hard I tug.....

Still not even touched the table since getting back. Can't seem to find the 're-scale' bit on tunerstudio. Want to rescale it, take a screen shot to note numbers, create a new 16x16 table.

This time have a table with the right parameters ie Kpa bin that actually starts lower then the current one as the engine goes off the current map at idle, plus higher rev bins as current table only up to 6000.

Amazed how well it's running on this table so far though. Had a friend who has a much better feel for tuning take it out and he thinks there is plenty more to get out of this engine. I've not touched on he igniton side and he thinks it's quite retarded (the timing, not my car..I think..)

After all the town driving I have done in the last week plus with some pretty rapid bits and mainly pretty brisk averages I refilled the tank to see how economy was. 11L/100km which Im stoked with! I never saw those figures on any previous engine, esp the rotaries.

On way home from petrol station I got stopped by police doing random breath testing. They loved the car :-) They commented on how tidy it was and how quiet the engine was (of course unaware it has an uncerted V6 under the bonnet)

One of them said "ooh the boy racers would love to get their hands on this"

He he. I love understated old Vivas..

• Like 4

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mx5 gearboxes are pretty sweet Alex. I've always been impressed with the ratios in the MX5 racecar we have.

The common issue is the 3rd gear syncro dying, so it would be worth pulling one apart before fitting it. Are they the same length as a 12A box? It seems to be a super common swap for rotary guys.

yeah the gear set should drop in. Will definitely do it but would be good to find both a rx7 box or cheap bellhousing and a mx5 box, do the required swaping and new bearings etc, then swap boxes so having a known good spare.

Spencer- is that in a slightly mixed up kiwi pommy accent? Im kiwi through and through but I think Hannah is influencing me.

I swapped over the front brake hoses for the braided ones today and so its now a much better feeling pedal. Its solid. I think it still needs a bigger diameter bore to cut down the travel. They work well though so no hurry.

After a bike ride I thought a quick job would be swap the door window seals. But the ones I bought over a year ago from Basis in Renwick are not deep enough. The Viva looks to have special Viva only seals moulded to clear rivets holding on the chrome strip. bugger. Will see what else Basis have.

• 3 weeks later...