Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

I'd just design a whole new hub with the right offsets etc.  Select a common and suitable disc and caliper combo, design the hub around it...

Once saw a Viva with 3.3 victor arms and uprights, they had machined up a new hub to take standard bearings and and disc, but converted it to ford 5 stud so they could run some heinous wheels (something that would have looked at home on an XF or EA Fairmont with a bogan in it).

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only just seen it now,  so you probably have it sorted re fuel table.   you can space the tables out alot more.  20kpa jumps no worries.   i'd make your top row 110.  next one down 100kpa. should sit  pretty close to 100kpa at wot, so will sit in the middle of that row.  make the 110kpa line the same numbers as 100kpa line

I'll do that. Hannah reckons it never went beyond about 104 Kpa, but I have not extended it that high often enough. I make a new 110 and space them a bit. I like more bins around the idle and lower revs area too as I think it's what makes for a smoother drive about town. Still learning sooooo much but it's fun.

Bought a new genuine Mazda thermostat today as the tridon one seems too keen to open. Will fit it soon and then hopefully car will be quicker to warm up. Makes a difference to the idle when its nicely warmed up.

I noticed that the Ego correct feature is currently set to only comes on above 70degrees which with the current thermostat takes bloody ages to get to. When it gets there and the ego correct starts doing its thing the idle and general running seems to be noticeably better...but this might all be in my mind.

I reckon it might be the ego correct switching on and stopping the mild hunting at idle that comes on halfway between warmup and being properly warmed up. Its actually ever so slightly smoother when the warmup enrichment is on.  This seems to tie in well with what I have read about many cars liking a slightly richer idle than one might expect. 

• 1 month later...

Hell yeah Zac- it's turbo ready!...... :-)

Lawrence- yeah I never spotted how baggy those overalls are on hannah. I won't mention she ran the tool into the chuck either..... Whoops..

I'll give her some rubber bands next time to hold the sleeves up.

Edit: link fixed. Cheers.

• Like 1

Cheers fellas.

I'm hoping that after Jesse gave it a good thrashing he'll spread the word on how sweet these engines are for so little money.

Yep mr Brick- I'm very lucky to have a wife who is so nuts about old cars- more so than me quite often. (Means big plans for fields of old cars when we buy land.... :-) )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah Im amazed they claim to have balanced it. Thats a lot of weight being thrown about and there are no weights at that end of the shaft.

the bushes at axle end are a bit soft and squidgy. will get some from over seas. It was pretty horrible having a rose joint in there for two days. Not nice in a road car.

• 2 weeks later...