Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

So got home from work (back working on that bedford CF which is now in the paint stage :-) ) and I unbolted all the many little s/s capscrews holding the plenum lid on-6mm thick but it has a bloody twist in it such was the bang! Many welds had popped apart but luckily it looks easy enough for me to weld back together. 

Once fixed I can look into why it happened. Possibly was a injector leaking? But its only happened twice. Perhaps next time its been sat a while I should hold the throttle down so activating clear flood and clear it back to a fresh start. Hmmmmm   pondering.

I need to post a msq but not sure how.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a picture of a split plenium once. The cause was that when the key was turned on, all four plugs fired once similtaniously. Boom!

could it be a leaky injector dumping fuel into the runner?

yes megasquirt does do this when first powered up.

esp the scenario is its cold and the thing doesnt start immediately so there is a bunch of fuel sitting around.  I had this happen when i was diagnosing problems (cranking a bunch with ignition not fuctioning). then i got the ignition to function turned the key and it was like someone fired a cannon out the exhaust. different came timing or just position in the firing cycle at the time could have this effect.

• Like 1

From what Ive read it seems that MS can be configured to hold the timing at a set spot while cranking and you can also have it set to retard (or advance) the timing when cranking? Ive looked for this feature but so far only found a cold advance/retard feature. Its was set at the default whereby for example @ 6 degrees C in temp the ignition is advanced a further 3 degrees. That wont help matters because I have also set my ignition table with a bit more advance in the lowest rpm bins to help stop the engine stalling. Say it idles nicely at around 14 degrees btdc I have the lower bins set at 17 btdc then add on the extra 3 degrees from that cold advance its going to be 20 btdc at cranking- probably a bit too much?

I realise all engines are different but Id be interested to know what other peoples cars advance is set at while cranking?

I reckon its a combination of things- a leaky injector filling the plenum with fumes maybe combined with too much advance at crank. Certainly has felt like too much advance once or twice when the engine has mildly backfired and felt like the engine is fighting to rotate the right way if yoy know what I mean.

Yeah I think its too much. Will dail it out. 2.0 litre used to run on about 10 at idle and never backfired.  I just advanced it slowly as it idled that bit smoother.

Also.. cam overlap....I'm not sure if these 2.5 ZE cams have much more overlap than the 2.0 - whether that would make much difference at crank? I cant imagine there is that many degrees between them. Will do some googling....but not before I finish filing down my oh so not so pretty welds...

what- move all the columns to the right and loose all that fine definition that I can tune at 8000? :-)

But yeah- I could do that, about 300 rpm but i think easier to set that cold advance thing to retard it. From what I can remember its only happened first start of the day when cold. 

• 2 months later...

Most excellent! Look forward to seeing the footage and comments from Matt. Credit to your work and ethusiam to all things Viva-ish.

Wouldn't it be awesome to cruise LA/Hollywood Hills in your car...a word in his ear perhaps... :wink:

• Like 1