Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of turbos, and externals, but there illegial. Naughty thoughts chris.. Anyway, this thing is so sick! Glad to be privalaged enough to have a gander, I like what you have done with the throttle cable and the way everything has been deloomed , makes it look so sweet and factory, has given me some motivation to get stuck into some nasty wiring gremlins and tackle a megasquirt project. Oh and that induction noise! Keep up the good work, im sure the quality of this build is going to be enough motivation for others on here to pump out some builds of amazing quality also. :)

• Like 1

Im thinking less jap and more Brit.

British cars are so well developed and the thinking that goes into them is amazing. Perfect engineering.

Take my viva for example- when it rains it leaks water into the cabin. This is so when I open the door a week later I know that it has rained because of the wet carpets. Very helpful.

Now all that water would add weight to the car and effect it's perfect balance. So in order to address this extra weight the engineers have designed in a system where the axles, g/box and engine carefully meter out fluids onto the ground. This is exceptional thinking.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

*Its a British car. Its always going to leak and the carpets will always be damp.

QFT :rolleyes:

To try and stop this in my 1300 I need to replace the window seals like you did, have you still got the generic ones from Basis? I think they might fit my car if you're willing to part with them

• 3 weeks later...

After cleaning up the mess in my pants each tme I see this car, I cant help but think there must be a better air filter setup as It takes away from the simplicity and symmetric engine bay I reckon.,,,,,,

Ha ha excellent! Yeah photo turned out OK considering it was my old phone shakely taken from behind my shoulder.

Highlux- we are seeing no worse than 11l/100km with all town driving and on long runs are getting 8/100 :-). I reckon with further tuning and reinstating the over run fuel cut we hopefully might get to 40mpg 7/100 which would be awesome especially as fuel has just gone up again and is set to keep going up!

Yeah Andrew I know what you mean about it not being symmetrical but I quite like the simplistic setup with this filter. I did look into other options but the bonnet sits so close to the TB that couldnt do much else. Have thought about painting the tube but reckon it could look worse.

I do however have a new plenum lid in the making which I'm quite excited about. I just need to mill it sometime this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 3.3 bits but not on a car.  Saving them for the yellow beast when it gets a big engine.  Just hoarding parts...

Running 1800 bits on the blue one, balljoints are off the shelf, about $40. Too easy.

Should do a group exercise to make a decent hub/disc/caliper setup for 1800 uprights.

who has a lathe? We should try to make a standard stub axles (1800) fit onto bigger beefier hubs with some kind of adapter pressed in to accommodate the smaller bearing... ? anyway thats my idea not sure if its able to be done legally, but will keep the geometry of the car in a similar line... maybe it will be wider -==-... but yeh whadda you fullas reckon?