PAINT THREAD

dylan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YES started going over the car with phosphoric acid . works well have to get some real 3M green pads the cheap ones from the House are crap :lol::lol:

I had read up on using phosphoric acid on the net some one had said to rinse after with water not a good idea instant flash rust :shock::shock:

Second coat of acid fixed that up will wax and grease remover take it of before I paint ?

Any one used metal ready under paint it uses a Zinc phosphoric acid base or do I just stick to a Zinc first coat I do not want to see rust in a years time :evil::evil: .

Also we use Resene auto paint at work any good ? as I hope to get it cheaper than the 3M stuff from super cheap trade less %20

THANK YOU Guys for your help in advance

the scotch pads from your house are just nylon, actual scotch pads contain grit.

resene is ok but has a short life span (expect it to look old faster)

id probably avoid the 3m stuff just because ive never heard of anybody really using it (for exterior paint anyway)

if you are going silver you will want to go base and clear, silver top coats look like cheap nasty arse, red however looks good in a 2k topcoat and isnt that hard to paint just make sure you get even coverage

Ok another dumb question why are you meant to bog over bare steel rather than than etch primer I've got this thing about rust .I've always found rust under bog and I hate it but have to use some on a welded seam .

once again thanks for your help

bog sticks to metal better than paint, if you have a welded seam it will go rusty before a clean panel anyway.

the reason you often find rust under bog is one of a few

1, bog was put over rust

2, steel was left too long before being bogged/painted

3, the panel beaters dolly's will almost certainly have surface rust on them, when they smash the dent out it embeds tiny little bits of it into the steel they are repairing. these little bits act like rust seeds

4, cheap bog contains some water

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a cheep water trap/ regulator from supercheap (25 bucks worth) ibought it primaraly for the water trap as i already have a regulator, but as i have it set up it seems that buy regulating flow it just blows all the excess air out. is this how they are supposed to work it just means my poor little compressor is going fullchat trying to keep up, i would have thaught a regulator would only allow a certian ammount to flow to the hose and hold back eveything else.

being cheap then maybe

use your other regulator, having a small compressor cranking away non stop will make heaps of water. get one of those cheap coil air hoses and run it between the compressor and your water trap and run it up to the ceiling and back this helps to make the most of a small trap on a small system

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

right, new car was painted by previous owner and is a crappy job. just a single base coat no clear, and has been put on far too light in some/alot of places so it has a uneven finish and shine sorta thing.

Is there anything I can do (short of repainting it) to get it a bit more even? Im not afraid to lose some of the gloss (its not really that shinny anyway/at all) so could I just go over the how car with some fine sandpaper and even it all out?