PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
i think its easier to go OS 1k primer on this.

personally i wouldn't

2 part primers are harder, and much nicer/easier to flat back before top coats

there not harder to apply either, most primers are 4-1 primer-hardener and have a few hours of pot life (time to get it mixed and applied) so its just as simple as a single pack kit

does 2 pack kill you unless you have a full on darth vader face setup - or are those 3m mask things with the two filters all you need?

any paint will kill you :lol:

plenty of painters just use the twin filter masks just make sure you get the right filter elements for paint, or see if you can hire and afr from a paint shop and be darth vader for the weekend

I was gonna spray a 1k base coat with 2k clear. general consensus is that is how alot of people doit and it makes for a longer lasting paint job

thats how it was done at all the paint shops ive worked in,most of the cars were just dealer crap and we did do the odd 2k one but that was mostly only for doing whole cars eg the the full white respays on all the hiace vans we used to do.

1k base coat with 2k clear would be the easyst way you just have to make shore you prep it better than if you were spraying strate 2k becouse you get more sink back.

• 1 year later...
Bringing this back from the dead.

Where to buy good paint? I don't think there are any proper auto paint shops in taupo so may have to goto rotorua/hamilton/auckland.

Whats the deal with getting the colour you want vs. standard colours?

if you get custom colour make sure they give you the formula, makes it a bisquillion times easier to match it next time

4 main run of the mill brands

would advise going standox or ppg

good paint but not so pricey as im guessing your not willing to spend insane amount of coin on paint?

not ridiculous amounts. where can I buy PPG?

what about resene? or they shit?

spies hecker? I see that smitsgroup in auckland sell that stuff - or is it $$bling?

the custom colour thing - can you ge that from any brand? I wasn't really meaning custom custom, was meaning more like a colour off some factory car that you can get a number for, v.s. paint makers standard colours.

not ridiculous amounts. where can I buy PPG?

what about resene? or they shit?

spies hecker? I see that smitsgroup in auckland sell that stuff - or is it $$bling?

the custom colour thing - can you ge that from any brand? I wasn't really meaning custom custom, was meaning more like a colour off some factory car that you can get a number for, v.s. paint makers standard colours.

speis is a little bit more $$$ but not stupid, good paint though

cant comment on resene never used it, never been to a paint shop that uses it either

there is a place in auckland that sells ppg called 'autopaint' its in Henderson somewhere

what type of paint are you after and whats is for, might be able to give you some no profit based advise on which product to buy

Anyone in Taupo just buys from Hamilton anyway then charges $$. There's several in Hams, without a trade deal its still pricey.

Theres the big two that do PPG etc

Link up

http://www.linkuppaints.co.nz/

Autolink

http://www.ald.net.nz/

Theres also Fuji Automotive down Te rapa, they do Resene and some other sub par brands but are always well priced, the Resene paint has always come out well for me

what type of paint are you after and whats is for, might be able to give you some no profit based advise on which product to buy

basically need everything

etch primer, enough to do 60% of a car inside and out

primer enough to do whole car inside and out

thinners as required for above

then maybe

base coat enough to do whole car inside and out

?clear? dunno if I need this or not

or might get shop to do the colour/top coat undecided at present

also need

plenty of bog

seam sealer

however much prepsol/whatever cleanery stuff